cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got Note 3? Have a break, grab a KitKat update...

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hello all you Note 3 users,

It brings us great pleasure to confirm that the Android KitKat update for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is now available! Want it? Go get it! Fire up Settings > General > About device > Software update.

As with most Android releases these are delivered in batches so not everyone will have this available all at the same time. That being the case, you may wish to check for updates via Samsung KIES to see if it’s available through that for you. If you’d rather do it over the air, hopefully it won’t be too long before you see it.

One feature we’re sure many of you will appreciate is the re-introduction of the ‘2G Only’ network option which will allow you to force your phone onto the 2G network for voice calls & texts.

Got it? Waiting for it? Let us know your thoughts once you've updated to it. KitKat runs buttery smooth on lesser-spec devices and as the Note 3 is such a powerhouse, you may or may not see a perceived performance increase, but do let us know if you notice any changes 🙂

PS. Looking for KitKat on S4? We've got nothing to announce just yet but we want to get this released as much as you S4 owners want it. It too will have the 2G-Only switch and we'll let you know the moment it's released.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Chris_K wrote:

One feature we’re sure many of you will appreciate is the re-introduction of the ‘2G Only’ network option which will allow you to force your phone onto the 2G network for voice calls & texts.

Good decision O2 slight_smile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@MI5 lets hope it comes back on all devices and not just this one

@Chris_K Can you confirm this 2g switch will be reintroduced on all 4g devices? inc apple

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 11

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

@MI5 lets hope it comes back on all devices and not just this one

@Chris_K Can you confirm this 2g switch will be reintroduced on all 4g devices? inc apple

We understand the 2G switch is something many of you have been missing and we’re working hard with vendors to re-introduce it where possible. This is an ongoing process and may not be something you’ll see in the next update for whichever handset you have, but it’s something our device team are keen on bringing back so hopefully you'll see it on your own device(s) sometime soon.

Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good news well done O2 and only a week behind the btu release not bad at all
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the samsung release but I'm guessing the O2 one should be near enough the same I have found the battery life to be improved I got 3 days 12 hours out of mine with moderate usage
Message 6 of 11

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I have the samsung release but I'm guessing the O2 one should be near enough the same I have found the battery life to be improved I got 3 days 12 hours out of mine with moderate usage

Ohh really? That's impressive going on a single charge, and great to hear you've experienced longer battery life with the new update! I found a couple of 'rogue' apps eating my own Note 3 battery today and one of them completely unexpected - a stopwatch app. With 50% battery left, the app was responsible for 38% of the drainage - needless to say, it's been uninstalled 😉

Do you use any 3rd party battery management apps like Juice for instance?

Message 7 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I borrowed the community Note 3 and found it very good on battery life with just the inbuilt power saving enabled.
As far as battery saving apps are concerned the only one I would recommend is Go Battery Saver https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gau.go.launcherex.gowidget.gopowermaster&hl=en
All the other seem to be too debilitating or give issues with black screens etc.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris_K wrote:

We understand the 2G switch is something many of you have been missing and we’re working hard with vendors to re-introduce it where possible. This is an ongoing process and may not be something you’ll see in the next update for whichever handset you have, but it’s something our device team are keen on bringing back so hopefully you'll see it on your own device(s) sometime soon.

@Chris_K will the "2G preferred" option be coming to the Moto G? I still want a 3G fallback if 2G drops out totally.

Message 9 of 11

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions
Sorry for the delay Oliver. Unfortunately it won't be possible for me to check specific plans for 2G switches on handsets prior to us receiving updates from vendors for testing. It's a feature/function we'd like to see on more handsets so our device team will be doing everything they can for future device updates - this may include the Moto G too, but I have no current details or plans for this particular device I'm afraid.

Message 10 of 11