Did you mean: 

Google Pixel 3 4G & WiFi Calling

andyproctor
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hello,

I have just bought a Google Pixel 3 XL direct from a retailer today. I have 4G and WiFi Calling enabled on my Pay monthly tariff but looks like O2 do not yet support this handset for these features.

Can anyone confirm the same or any different? Also can anyone confirm if this is planned to be added in the future, I'm guessing in a system update?

Many thanks.
Message 1 of 62
61 REPLIES 61

mas
  • 9 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Chris_K You mention wifi calling preferred is coming to the S9 and S10.  Do you know whether this is also coming to the Pixel 3?

My previous issues with WiFi calling settings not being available on the Pixel 3 seem to now be resolved (settings are now available under Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile network > Advanced and remain 'sticky' when the device is restarted).  A big thank you to O2/Google support.

Message 51 of 62

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@mas wrote:

@Chris_K You mention wifi calling preferred is coming to the S9 and S10.  Do you know whether this is also coming to the Pixel 3?

So, to directly answer your question - yes, it'll be coming to the Pixel 3. We don't however have any ETA or estimates on when, but if/when there's any movement on this I'll let everyone know.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 52 of 62

ZRB
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi @mas Me again! I eventually got WiFi calling working on my pixel only for the screen to start flickering and I had to get a replacement as it was a manufacturers fault. The replacement Pixel 3 I have received does not have WiFi calling (grrrrrr!) and when I try your trick of *#*#4636#*#* the options to turn on WiFi calling is greyed out as is all the options other than the radio band. In the IMS settings it says that none of the voice calling over WiFi or LTE are available. This has really worried me! Does that mean this pixel isn't able to have WiFi calling at all? Anyone have any ideas what I can do? Thanks in advance.
Message 53 of 62

mas
  • 9 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@ZRBThe only thing I can suggest is go back through the steps in my post of 06/03/19 and make sure you have ticked each one off.  In particular when you switched from iPhone to Pixel 3through CPW did they switch your data bolt on from iPhone to Smartphone?  If not you can do this through O2 customer services.

Maybe also try resetting network settings on the Pixel 3?

Good luck!

Message 54 of 62

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Chris_K wrote:
Hey peeps,

Bit of an update to share on 'wifi preferred' for wifi calling... An update has been approved that'll enable this on the Samsung S9 which we expect to be live soon - within next week or so, we hope. There'll also be an update that'll bring wifi preferred to the Samsung S10 which we currently expect at the end of April, but i'll confirm closer to the time.

Hey all,

The "wifi preferred" option is now live across S9 and S10 devices, and also rolling out to the rest of the Samsung range that support Wifi and 4G calling.

No further updates as of yet on wifi preferred for Google Pixel 3, but we continue to work with Google on this and will share further updates as/when we've got them.

PS. To pre-empt anyone asking about Wifi Calling on Huawei devices - nothing new here I'm afraid. Huawei are still working on this and as above, we'll let you know as/when there's more to share.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 55 of 62

Hogues
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi again all! Sorry for reopening a thread a few months old now. Just thought it'd be good to try and keep all this info in the same place for anyone else who may end up here through Google searches and such.

I'm STILL not getting the option for Wi-Fi calling on my Pixel 3 XL. As mentioned before, the "*#*#4636#*#*" trick does work, but changes dont persist after restart or powering down my device. The turn on "Connect to open networks" option in Wi-Fi settings doesn't achieve anything for me either (like it has for some users). 

Currently running "Security Patch Level: 5 May 2019"

At this point I'm starting to think that my issue can only be hardware related for some reason. Any other users still suffering from this?

Message 56 of 62

andyg68uk
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just received the Android 10 firmware update over the air for my O2 purchased Pixel 3XL and can confirm you can now properly set a preference for wifi calling whether to route calls by default over wifi or over the mobile network.

PS - the update takes while to apply so be patient when your pixel is on the Google logo screen rebooting for the first time.

unnamed.png

Message 57 of 62

andyproctor
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Since having Android 10 4G and WiFi calling is no longer working. The option to check this has apparently moved from the system settings to Phone app settings.

My phone currently has following O2 settings version: o2postpaid_gb-10000000259.2
Message 58 of 62

andyg68uk
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I switched to an esim in my pixel 3xl after esims on o2 launched but immediately lost the ability to use wi-fi and 4g calling. After raising with O2 they've finally come back to me today to advise they've liased with Google and confirmed there is a software issue which will result in losing access to WiFi and 4g calling if u switch to an esim on the pixel on o2 however they are planning to patch this in a software update in December.

I've just finished sin swooping back to a physical O2 sin card and WiFi and 4g calling immediately returned again.
Message 59 of 62

mas
  • 9 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Having successfully got WiFi calling working on my Pixel 3 back in July I have had persistant problems establishing a connection.  Every time I go to make a call over WiFi I do not get a dial tone.  The only way to establish a proper connection is to reboot the phone.  I then get the dial tone and can make a call.  Most calls then drop at some point with an error message saying 'unable to establish a connection with the server'.

Does anyone else share the same issues and/or have a solution to fix this?

Thanks!

Message 60 of 62