cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going Abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm off to Egypt in May and wondered what the costs are to text and phone back home.  Do we get to use our allowance of free minutes first or are we just charged per minute?

Thanks anyone who can help.

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

No you cant use your included minutes here are the charges for pay monthly:

Making calls£1.50
Receiving calls£1.25
Sending texts40p

Cost per MB of using data:

Data usage£6*

These charges are per minute

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

No you cant use your included minutes here are the charges for pay monthly:

Making calls£1.50
Receiving calls£1.25
Sending texts40p

Cost per MB of using data:

Data usage£6*

These charges are per minute

Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have a look at the TuGo app - it allows you to make calls/texts over wi-fi

Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Doesn't that cost the same though?

Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Doesn't that cost the same though?

Over wi-fi - i'd assumed it would be free? Could well be wrong of course (never assume etc)

Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

No its defiantly not free as far as I know all it does is allows you to make calls where you have no signal but you still have to pay for the calls or if in UK they would come out of inclusive minutes

Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

damien1 - I bow to your superior knowledge (like I said - never assume .... :smileyhappy:)

Message 7 of 15

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

TuGo calls come out of your minutes allowance wherever you are provided you use wi-fi.

If you're using TU Go over the mobile network (GSM), you'll have to pay the normal roaming charges (the same as it would cost to use your mobile when abroad). If you're using TU Go over WiFi only, your calls and texts will cost the same as they would if you were in the UK – and will come out of your monthly allowance.

If you keep your data switched on while you're abroad, your Timeline and voicemail will keep using it to sync up in the background. Data roaming can be expensive. So you'll need to make sure your phone or gadget's settings are set not to use data when you're abroad. This includes using a 3G connection on your tablet. If you're connected to WiFi, you can sync your Timeline and voicemail for free. 

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

TuGo calls come out of your minutes allowance wherever you are provided you use wi-fi.

If you're using TU Go over the mobile network (GSM), you'll have to pay the normal roaming charges (the same as it would cost to use your mobile when abroad). If you're using TU Go over WiFi only, your calls and texts will cost the same as they would if you were in the UK – and will come out of your monthly allowance.

If you keep your data switched on while you're abroad, your Timeline and voicemail will keep using it to sync up in the background. Data roaming can be expensive. So you'll need to make sure your phone or gadget's settings are set not to use data when you're abroad. This includes using a 3G connection on your tablet. If you're connected to WiFi, you can sync your Timeline and voicemail for free. 

I stand corrected

Message 9 of 15

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You were spot on for GSM use, but for wi-fi it's different.

Also you would get roaming charges for receiving calls if you're not on wi-fi.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 15