cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S5 Limited Connection when on voice call?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am finding that most of the time when I am using my S5 as a mobile hotspot the connection is trouble free, however when I get a voice call it promptly goes to 'limited' status. On closing the call it reverts back again (after a while) - is this a known issue?

It is a bit pisser if it is, as my old LG could do EVERYTHING at once. 😞

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
What @MI5 said is correct. All 4g phones (at least on o2 possibly others) do this, the strongest signal will always sit dormant behind 4g and upon receiving a voice call the phones will switch to the strongest voice enabled network. Once the call has finished, it will reconnect to the 4g data stream until voice call switches it again.
In most cases the voice network is 3g, but sometimes the strongest signal is 2g and that will be the utilised network.
All phones do it, only more recent ones tell you.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Ive not heard anything about this on blogs i read.

Phones will switch from a 4G connection to 3G or lower when a call comes in but it should return back to 4G {if thats the strongest signal available} soon after the call.

I cant tether so im not sure if the dynamics are the same.

Message 2 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144201 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions

Others have reported this and it seems to be a feature of O2 as it's across different phones......?
It maybe because the 3G connection hasn't got the bandwidth but could also be dropping to 2G ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 4

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
What @MI5 said is correct. All 4g phones (at least on o2 possibly others) do this, the strongest signal will always sit dormant behind 4g and upon receiving a voice call the phones will switch to the strongest voice enabled network. Once the call has finished, it will reconnect to the 4g data stream until voice call switches it again.
In most cases the voice network is 3g, but sometimes the strongest signal is 2g and that will be the utilised network.
All phones do it, only more recent ones tell you.
Message 4 of 4