cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S4 freezing since update to Android 4.3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very annoying, but I am getting loads of hang....     time, since the update a couple of days back. The phone is sluggish, slow to charge, but most annoying is when you are in a rush to send something and the phone just......            stops responding for about 5 seconds.

Is this a known issue, can it be fixed and ideally without a start from scratch factory job, which I think wipes everything on the phone?

Thanks

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks to everyone who said to do a factory reset, thanks!

I got the update the other week and ever since then it was jumping, freezing for a few seconds, and just been a pain to use. Now it's back to normal.

I didn't bother to backup with Kies though, I'd rather avoid that at all cost as I never had good luck with it in the past.

Google pushed back all the things they had backed up, such as contacts so it wasn't too bad.

I've even created this account just to say thanks, as I'm 'one of them from giffgaff'. slight_smile
Message 21 of 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Thanks for letting us know slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have come here to ask about the same thing. My S4 has started in the last few weeks to freeze on the screen so I cannot use the touch screen. I have to restart the unit and then its OK for a day or so until next freeze, now becoming annoying.

Model GT-19505

Android version 4.4.2

security software ver. MDF v1.0 release 2

I would appreciate any help on this as keep turning the phone on/off when you about to use it is not clever.

One other thing battery power seems to be going a lot quicker than it used to lasts around 18 hours 24 on standby, it could be a dud battery as the phone is around a year old now.

Cheers John

Message 23 of 27

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Firstly I would check if it was an app causing trouble.
Do you have any battery saving apps installed as these always cause issues?
If not you may want to consider a factory reset (should really be done periodically and after a major firmware update anyway).
My guide to resetting here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/How-To-Reset-your-Samsung-after-a-Firm...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 24 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are some known bugs in 4.4.2 affecting the S4. Like you I had similar issues which o2 were not aware of with my S4.

I have since changed my main handset but on the back up S4 the issues remain. I understand this is affecting S4 devices regardless of whether they are locked to a network or not. Mine was sim free, I am assuming yours is locked to o2, some other o2 and Vodafone friends of mine with S4 report same.

Samsung it's over to you.
Message 25 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem with my phone freezing, being slow, I can no longer open the camera app and the sound has completely stopped working. I have cleared all the cache, unistalled all the recent apps, none of this worked, so I factory reset my phone from the recovery mode and it still isn't working properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Josie x

Message 26 of 27

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
If you have done all that the next step is to send it in for repair. You can approach either O2 or Samsung directly, it's your choice.

Currently using:
Message 27 of 27