cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S4 freezing since update to Android 4.3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very annoying, but I am getting loads of hang....     time, since the update a couple of days back. The phone is sluggish, slow to charge, but most annoying is when you are in a rush to send something and the phone just......            stops responding for about 5 seconds.

Is this a known issue, can it be fixed and ideally without a start from scratch factory job, which I think wipes everything on the phone?

Thanks

Message 1 of 27
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

If I go to Backup and reset and both Back up my data and Automatic restore are ticked, then I should be ok to proceed???

Yes, that is correct.

Will i need to back up music on the phone as well as pictures and sound files recorded with Voice Recorder etc?

Yes, use Kies or your favourite backup app and backup all your files on the phones internal storage (Ext SD card will NOT be touched)

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

MI5
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
No other fix, you have to factory reset.
Back up first and set your apps to back up and restore automatically and then it doesn't take too long to do.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, but is there a guide just to be sure? If I go to Backup and reset and both Back up my data and Automatic restore are ticked, then I should be ok to proceed???

Will i need to back up music on the phone as well as pictures and sound files recorded with Voice Recorder etc?

Message 3 of 27

MI5
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

If I go to Backup and reset and both Back up my data and Automatic restore are ticked, then I should be ok to proceed???

Yes, that is correct.

Yes, use Kies or your favourite backup app and backup all your files on the phones internal storage (Ext SD card will NOT be touched)

Currently using:
Message 4 of 27

Jaycr
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Unfortunately I'm having the same problems after the update. I followed the advice and did a factory reset but it didn't solve the problems. Still continuously freezing, takes an age to start up & load widgets etc., very sluggish. Before the update whilst on 4.2.2 it was perfect. The update has almost ruined my phone. Anyone got any ideas other than a factory reset? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Jim
Message 5 of 27

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, but is there a guide just to be sure?

You're speaking to it! 🙂

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 27

MI5
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
You need to do the reset from recovery mode (Vol Up+Home+Power). The reset from the settings menu just deletes your data and doesn't reset the OS.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 27

MI5
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, but is there a guide just to be sure?

You're speaking to it! 🙂

LOL slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 8 of 27

Jaycr
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ah right, I did it from the settings screen. I'll try again from recovery mode and hopefully that'll work. Many thanks. Jim
Message 9 of 27

MI5
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
I promise it will mate slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 10 of 27