Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

Highlighted
Anonymous

Galaxy S 2 ICS update (MOD HELP)

[ Edited ]
Hi guys please see the below conversation I have just had, please can someone explain why I cant update my phone. -
Welcome to O2. Someone will be with you soon.

You're through to Gareth.

Gareth: Hi I'm Gareth. How can I help?

Aaron Moorcroft: Hey Gareth

Gareth: Evening Aaron

Aaron Moorcroft: I have been speaking to your guys on the twitter account all day on and off about my issue

Gareth: hmm..okay

Aaron Moorcroft: basically I have an O2 samsung galaxy s2 and want to update it to ICS 4.0 but Kies is telling me I have the latest version installed however this is not true as im still on gingerbread

Aaron Moorcroft: do you have an external link I can download the update from ?

Gareth: Let me check this for you

Aaron Moorcroft: I was advised to keep trying all day and I have done so far but still no luck

Aaron Moorcroft: cheers
Aaron Moorcroft: :smileyhappy:

Gareth: Can you tell me where was this handset purchased from?

Gareth: was it from carphone warehouse, phones4U or Tesco/

Aaron Moorcroft: the O2 store in telford

Gareth: Do you have the Samsung KIES installed in your PC?

Aaron Moorcroft: yep

Aaron Moorcroft: its a fresh install too

Gareth: With the latest version of Samsung Kies loaded onto the PC. Open it up and then connect your Samsung device via a USB cable

Gareth: - Once connected the name of the phone will be shown under connected devices. (The S2 will be displayed as “GT I9100”).

Aaron Moorcroft: yep done that

Gareth: - Click onto the name of the phone in the top left. The Galaxy S2 is called “GT I9100”

Aaron Moorcroft: firmware upgrade is greyed out

Gareth: - if there is an available firmware upgrade , they will be able to click “Firmware Upgrade”

Aaron Moorcroft: this is my problem

Aaron Moorcroft: you guys have released an upgrade but Kies is not allowing me to upgrade
Aaron Moorcroft: its just telling me im on the latest version

Gareth: We do have a update about this and it reads as follows :

Gareth: Few customers may not have the O2 variant Gingerbread software and when these customers try to download the Ice Cream Sandwich software via Kies, they won’t see any software update available. This is because of security built into the Samsung download tool via Kies, ensuring customers get the right software. These customers will still be able to upgrade their phone but will have to wait for Samsung to approve the open market variant of the software. Currently we have no timescales for when this will happen but we will let customers know via social media and we’ll let you know here once this happens.

Aaron Moorcroft: so why is my phone different to everyone elses ?

Aaron Moorcroft: I dont understand why I have to wait and others can upgrade freely ?

Aaron Moorcroft: I am an O2 customer right and I have a phone from O2
Gareth: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefu ... e/KIES/JSP (this is the link for The KIES to upgrade the software

Aaron Moorcroft: thats the latest version of kies, I already have that ?

Gareth: I appreciate your patience in this matter, however as this software was launched yesterday on our network, we'll be making it available for all our S2 customers, this may take sometime

Aaron Moorcroft: right ...... ok you have just told me I cant upgrade due to some form of security and that I have to wait for samsung to give the go ahead, you then give me a link to the software I already have, and now your saying that it will just take o2 time as it was only launched yesterday

Aaron Moorcroft: your not really sure are you ?

Gareth: I gave you the update that we got about this software upgrade today which I mentioned above :

Gareth: Few customers may not have the O2 variant Gingerbread software and when these customers try to download the Ice Cream Sandwich software via Kies, they won’t see any software update available. This is because of security built into the Samsung download tool via Kies, ensuring customers get the right software. These customers will still be able to upgrade their phone but will have to wait for Samsung to approve the open market variant of the software. Currently we have no timescales for when this will happen but we will let customers know via social media and we’ll let you know here once this happens.

Aaron Moorcroft: ok well thanks for your help gareth have a good evening
Highlighted
Topics: 25
Kudos: 275
Solutions: 39

Re: Galaxy S 2 ICS update (MOD HELP)

I thought it was more or less self-explanatory. You have a phone locked to o2 and when the o2 approved version of the latest Android version is released then you'll be able to download it. I'm assuming it will be a slow rollout to minimise any unforseen issues that results in a lot of warranty repairs.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I thought it was more or less self-explanatory. You have a phone locked to o2 and when the o2 approved version of the latest Android version is released then you'll be able to download it. I'm assuming it will be a slow rollout to minimise any unforseen issues that results in a lot of warranty repairs.

O2 have released the update thats the issue, im unable to update.....
Highlighted
Anonymous

" Few customers may not have the O2 variant Gingerbread software and when these customers try to download the Ice Cream Sandwich software via Kies,"
My daughter bought a White S2 from O2 some months back an is in the same position. I've done some digging round and while the phone is locked to O2 it is not O2's version of the software but the Generic Samsung version.
As stated, she will have to wait till Samsung roll out the update for her phone. No doubt this is being done in batches by Samsung
Highlighted
Anonymous

" Few customers may not have the O2 variant Gingerbread software and when these customers try to download the Ice Cream Sandwich software via Kies,"
My daughter bought a White S2 from O2 some months back an is in the same position. I've done some digging round and while the phone is locked to O2 it is not O2's version of the software but the Generic Samsung version.
As stated, she will have to wait till Samsung roll out the update for her phone. No doubt this is being done in batches by Samsung.
If yours has generic firmware you may well be in the same position.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Of late it's showing how little training staff have that man CS in all media firms, it's not only o2 but everywhere is the same, so it's no wonder customers are getting upset
iechyd da
Highlighted
Anonymous

Right so the fix for this is to flash a copy of O2's gingerbread firmware to my phone and then it should update by the sound of it, fine why couldnt they just say that ???
Highlighted
Topics: 25
Kudos: 275
Solutions: 39

They haven't and won't recommend it either. If you do that then you'll probably void the warranty.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Cant see what all the fuss is about with ICS, I can easily wait till its released for my phone, its not like its life or death to install it, ive gotta have it NOW NOW NOW :womanindifferent:
Manufacturers & phone networks will release it in stages as & when they are ready.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Right so the fix for this is to flash a copy of O2's gingerbread firmware to my phone and then it should update by the sound of it, fine why couldnt they just say that ???

If you are going to do that have a look ay xda developers, they are really helpful and have lots of hows whys and wheres about flashing et al.
Iechyd da