Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerprint unlock not working

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
I have had the LG v30 for about 14 months and for the most part it has been great.
More recently I have had problems with the fingerprint unlock not working, getting an error message saying there has been a problem and if it continues to restart the phone.
While not great this has worked. Until now. Today the sensor has completely given up the ghost and does not even know my finger is on it.
Any suggestions for how to fix before sending it off to LG?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Potential solutions courtesy of Google:

You can simply try deleting and remapping the fingerprints stored on the device, and you can even store the same fingerprint twice, which has worked for some users.
In other cases, clearing the cache has done the trick. Go to Settings – General – Phone Management – Device Storage and tap on Internal Storage. Then tap on Cached Data and clear it.
Go to Settings->Smart Cleaning->Test Hardware, and keep hitting the test button for Fingerprint Sensor, it will usually (eventually) test good. That's when fingerprints start working.

Prior to testing good, it may go through 1-n "bad" tests. The first bad test shows a result of "No Response. Retest Component." After that, the result changes to "Not Responding. Contact a customer center." Eventually, though, it does seem to switch to a "Good" result, and fingerprints resume working.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Potential solutions courtesy of Google:

You can simply try deleting and remapping the fingerprints stored on the device, and you can even store the same fingerprint twice, which has worked for some users.
In other cases, clearing the cache has done the trick. Go to Settings – General – Phone Management – Device Storage and tap on Internal Storage. Then tap on Cached Data and clear it.
Go to Settings->Smart Cleaning->Test Hardware, and keep hitting the test button for Fingerprint Sensor, it will usually (eventually) test good. That's when fingerprints start working.

Prior to testing good, it may go through 1-n "bad" tests. The first bad test shows a result of "No Response. Retest Component." After that, the result changes to "Not Responding. Contact a customer center." Eventually, though, it does seem to switch to a "Good" result, and fingerprints resume working.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

gmarkj
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
It wasn't even registering the attempt to unlock so deleting and re-registering wouldn't have worked.
I ran the diagnostic almost continuously for half an hour with no change in response.
Tried turning off and on which has started it for now. Think sending it back is inevitable tbh...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Sounds like it.....

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

gmarkj
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Quick update...
After running the hardware test about a billion times, I turned the phone off and on a couple of times and did a restart (when pressing the power button, it comes up with turn off, power off/on or airplane) it started to work again.
And has continued to do so since!
These phones are great when they work, but a pain in the ar$e when they play up...

Message 5 of 6

gmarkj
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
... and it's back!
Have been on to LG to see if they can repair it.
Might have to bite the bullet and pay the last 2 months to upgrade early if it can't be fixed.

Message 6 of 6