Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 42

Chris4c
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

A (completely non-techie) friend has just purchased a Huawei Y6 from O2, using an O2 SIM. They're having one problem though. When they attempt to send a text message to some users (not all), the message fails with 'error 42'. I've been unable to find out what that means, any ideas?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Chris4c 

Have a look to see if this helps Guide: Text Message Tips (not sent or received) 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Chris4c
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.
Message 3 of 8

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Good morning @Chris4c , did the above guide give you the information you needed? Need any additional help? slight_smile

Cheers @MI5 ! thumbsup

Message 4 of 8

Chris4c
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

Good morning @Chris4c , did the above guide give you the information you needed? Need any additional help? slight_smile

Cheers @MI5 ! thumbsup

Unfortunately I've not seen my friend since I posted the question, so I've not had chance to try. Presumably though, the fact that he can send text messages to some of his contacts must mean that the message centre number is correct? It's only messages to some contacts that give the error. All contacts are in the UK.

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Chris4c 

We'd need more info if that doesn't help. 

Has you friend changed from an iPhone?

Are the people they're texting changed phones?

Have they blocked the number etc ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Chris4c
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Chris4c 

We'd need more info if that doesn't help. 

Has you friend changed from an iPhone?

Are the people they're texting changed phones?

Have they blocked the number etc ?

As I mentioned, I've not had chance to go through that document with the phone itself, but FWIW the answer to all three of your questions is No. It has a new SIM that was purchased with the phone.

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Chris4c 

When you speak to them, ask them to check their network status O2 Service Status

The error could be caused by a network failure or congestion so may be intermittent.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8