cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distorted battery in my samsung s4 mobile

Anonymous
Not applicable

My phone has started switching itself off when it gets to around 20%, and can then only be turned back on with the charger connected. My battery has now become like a pillow and pushed the outer edge of my phone outwards. Only had phone in July of last year. Does anyone else have this problem with their s4 mobile? And what do i need to do? Very very scared as it could of caught fire. Thanks Zoe

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just feel it's bad it could of caught fire. I work in a primary school and its often left in my bag in the staff room. The recall was back in 2013 I had my phone actually at the end of September last year - so just six months. Had no idea about recall. Anyway thank you everyone I was just having a hard. I have sent an email to samsung repairs and am awaiting a reply tomorrow
Message 11 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are that worried @Anonymous why send an email? That could be up to 14 days to get a reply. Phone Samsung Repairs, I think they are open today, and arrange it's collection.

As for it catching fire, that is extremely unlikely. But for your own piece of mind. .....

If it were me, if you have an old handset then swap your sim into that, send your phone back to Samsung, get it repaired and mot'd all for free.

As I said earlier, all manufacturers are affected by things like this, and Nokia have been the worst of late (after Blackberry). Also note on Nokia devices that you cannot remove the battery at all. It has to go back to Nokia for that.
Message 12 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Just feel it's bad it could of caught fire. I work in a primary school and its often left in my bag in the staff room. The recall was back in 2013 I had my phone actually at the end of September last year - so just six months. Had no idea about recall. Anyway thank you everyone I was just having a hard. I have sent an email to samsung repairs and am awaiting a reply tomorrow

Good call Zoe. I do know from experience that Samsung have a very good reputation regarding faulty battery changes. They did identify a problem and a recall was put out...They certainly wont mess you about  with this change. It is not worth getting a poor reputation for...best of luck wink

By the way the dedicated samsung repair centres are listed here.. (should you wish to phone them and get it sorted more quickly)

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/servicelocation/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 26

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Sister in law has trouble with hers, and asked me to help.
One phone call to samsung UK customer services and sorted. New Battery came within 2 days.

There's no need for wasting time with emails and complaint.
1 because it wastes time
2 samsung quality control is normally far, far better than this, they know it, which is why the Galaxy s4 has this battery swap service.
Message 14 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
@viridis when I spoke to Sammy last year they insisted the phone had to go back so I went into cpw repair centre instead (i got phone from cpw).

But either way service was good.
Message 15 of 26

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Only can speak from my experience.
They took battery serial, samsung account info, and told me new battery on its way
Message 16 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cool. Either way. Easy resolution for ZoeStockdale
Message 17 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks all for replies and info 🙂
Message 18 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis wrote:
Only can speak from my experience.
They took battery serial,samsung account info, and told me new battery on its way

As far as I remember they could tell by the serial number what handsets received the dodgy batteries, and this pretty much confirms that...so no need for the handset to go back.

Message 19 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
As every one is guessing about Samsung's policy I will give you the facts in timeline.
When the problem first started, Samsung were unsure of the problem so all handsets had to be returned.
Once they had established the root cause of the problem they went through a phase of sending out replacement batteries to owners which fixed 90% of the problems, however, on some phones it was found that the battery had also damaged some other components so to be on the safe side they started asking for all phones to be returned for a full inspection.
The result of this was that very few phones had suffered additional damage so to save money they went back again to just sending out replacement batteries.
Customers now have the choice. If you call Samsung service and explain the problem, if it is confirmed that the battery is in the range specified for faulty ones, they will ask if you want to return the entire phone for a check up or just send you a battery.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 26