cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data use in France

Anonymous
Not applicable
My service indicator that usually shows 3g or 4g has an R next to it and I cannot send or receive data. Voice and text are ok, any suggestions?
Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
"R" indicates that you are roaming. You need to have data roaming enabled in your network settings, but be warned, it will be very slow anyway.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
"R" indicates that you are roaming. You need to have data roaming enabled in your network settings, but be warned, it will be very slow anyway.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

MercedesS
Former Staff
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous, welcome to the O2 community! 

We hope that @MI5 advice helped you and expect to see you around Wave

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 3 of 5

steve_the_doc
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I, too, have major problems with all the modalities in France, specifically in Normandy. My phone shows a great signal strength at times and I have 8 GB of data unused but no phone sometimes, no texts mostly and no data contact at all. Is this just a local anomaly? I am proposing to use a Mi-Fi device. Is this likely to solve the problem?

Any helpful comments greatly appreciated.

Steve

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Since this thread was started, things have improved in France. I recently drove from Calais to Bourgogne-Franche-Comté in the East, then onto the Cruise, before returning to Calais via Paris and I was getting at least 18Mbps whenever I checked my data speeds.
Calls did drop out occasionally, but as many calls were taken in the car whilst driving, it is forgivable.
Any issues with connection or speed I would suggest are localised and either due to distance from a transmitter, local terrain or a network fault.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 5