cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage - that old Chestnut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Im new to O2 and this forum.

I moved from EE on 20th Feb after 17 years. I have always had a 500mg Pay as you go package and never, in 17 years gone over that. I do use facebook, whatsapp and gmail. Dont do twitter, or watch You tube (only on wifi) .

I wentto O2 becasue the coverage in my area is bette. I also got a new phone - a SonyXperia Z3. In the 3 weeks Ive been with O2 I have used all my data and had to buy another bundle!! I cant go on for another 23 months like this! My new phone has shed loads of apps installed that I will never use and cant delete and whenever I go to disable them i get a warning about causing problems with other apps and data. Im guessing this is scaremongering or just Sony covering themselves if, in an unlikely event, something does go wrong.

Im planning on turning all these apps off but really - is there something else I should know about O2 and the way it grabs data that might be different to EE??!!

Any thoughs gratefully received.

regards

Ray

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
some quick options are:
-don't log in to any apps (Facebook, Twitter, etc) and use the web/mobile versions as this will only use data when you choose.
-make sure auto update for apps (in Play store) is off and only update when on Wi-Fi.
-restrict background data usage so apps only use data when in them (not as necessary without apps being logged in)

Those are ones that spring to mind that should help.
You can also check what is using data (settings-->data usage) and set limits there so the phone warns you.

NB - This is where I found it on my Z1 running Lollipop, which may be different on a Z3 running Marshmallow...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry - that should read 500mg Pay Monthly package!!

Message 2 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just disable anything you don't use.
The phone won't let you destroy it but some apps may rely on others, hence the warning.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 12

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
some quick options are:
-don't log in to any apps (Facebook, Twitter, etc) and use the web/mobile versions as this will only use data when you choose.
-make sure auto update for apps (in Play store) is off and only update when on Wi-Fi.
-restrict background data usage so apps only use data when in them (not as necessary without apps being logged in)

Those are ones that spring to mind that should help.
You can also check what is using data (settings-->data usage) and set limits there so the phone warns you.

NB - This is where I found it on my Z1 running Lollipop, which may be different on a Z3 running Marshmallow...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
What was the previous phone?
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Previous phone was an HTC Desire. I had it for some years and knew my way round it so that may be half the problem. In setting this new one up I may not have checked  that auto updates etc was switched off.

Many thanks for the various suggestions. I'll be sitting down with the phone tonight and having a trawl through the settings to see whats what. I assumed everything was defaulted to off unless I switch it on but that may not be the case. Or I may have inadvertantly opted in to some options.

Sadly these things are not always as straightforward as one would like!

Ray

Message 6 of 12

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Welcome to the O2 forums! Please keep us updated on your data use issue. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 12

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

A new phone will always use more data, updating apps etc. Android is fairly standard across most modern devices once you know your way around the new phone I'm sure you will get the settings and your data usage controlled. It should be easy to sort out...not being an iphone wink

Message 8 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Easiest thing to do is to keep your mobile data turned off until you need it, and make sure you update your apps over WiFi only. I don't use it myself, but I've read a few articles saying that the Facebook app is a huge data hog, and the best way to access Facebook on a phone is to go to the site via a browser.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 12

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions