Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connections settings on Samsung Galaxy A40

SarahJane2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm looking for some help to understand the settings on a Samsung Galaxy A40 (first smart-phone I've owned), especially in the Connections menu. I'm on a SIM-only deal with O2 that has unlimited texts and calls and 10GB a month. The phone will mostly be used for phone calls and text messages. 

One of the settings is 'use wifi to make and receive calls anywhere without connecting to a mobile network' - what does this mean and what are the pros and cons of having it on or off?

Another setting is 'use LTE data networks for calls whenever possible' - what does this mean and should it be on or off?

The choice of network modes is 'LTE/3G/2G (auto connect), 3G/2G (auto connect), 3G only or 2G only.' What do these mean and how should you choose which one to use?

When do I use these network options vs connecting to wifi?

There's also an option to turn 'nearby device scanning' on or off. What does that mean?

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23074 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions
Message 2 of 8

O2Karl
  • 285 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 24 Solutions

Hi @SarahJane2 

I'm Guru Karl and I will try and help explain what some of this means.

Q: One of the settings is 'use wifi to make and receive calls anywhere without connecting to a mobile network' - what does this mean and what are the pros and cons of having it on or off?

A: What this means is you can use your phone to make phone calls over WIFI, which means if you have no signal or weak signal but have access to WIFI you can make calls over WIFI, all you would need to do is call someone as normal and the phone will use the WIFI connection and not the mobile connection.

Q: Another setting is 'use LTE data networks for calls whenever possible' - what does this mean and should it be on or off?

A: LTE stands for Long-term Evolution, and isn’t as much a technology as it is the path followed to achieve 4G speeds. What this means you would be telling your phone to use LTE/4G when sometimes the 4G signal might not be the best signal and you might get a better signal on 3G or 2G.

Sometimes turning this off can help you achieve a better signal or turning it on can help achieve a better signal it depends on what area you're in.

Q: The choice of network modes is 'LTE/3G/2G (auto connect), 3G/2G (auto connect), 3G only, or 2G only.' What do these mean and how should you choose which one to use?

A: So the difference between these network modes are:-

LTE = Think 4G (Fastest Better Quality Calls, and Internet)
3G = Third Generation (Faster Better Quality Calls, and Internet)
2G = Second Generation (picture messages, slower internet experience, calls, and texts)

When it comes to network it depends on the area you are in so if you were in a rural area 2G or 3G might work better, if you were in a city 4G might work better. You should set your network mode to LTE/3G/2G if you have 4G in your area. You can check what network mode works best by using our coverage checker by clicking here.

I hope that makes sense if you have any more questions the community is here to help.

Have a great evening.

signature
Message 3 of 8

SarahJane2
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @O2Karl .

Should the network mode affect the phone signal? When I'm on LTE/3G/2G, the phone signal goes down to one bar. It's back to full strength when I'm on 3G or 2G. How does that work?

Sometimes the network mode icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen flashes, which I think means it's trying to connect, or data is being transferred. This happens even when I'm not using the internet on the phone. I can't see a way off to turn off the network mode - it's just a case of choosing one of the four options. Is that normal that people are always connected? I was concerned about running up an unexpected bill or accidentaly using data. I can see how to the turn wifi on or off though and that seems to override the other choice if I want to go online. 

Message 4 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10172 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions
@SarahJane2

If you set phone to use LTE/3G/2G it will try and connect onto LTE whenever it can latch onto that service at the mast, only if it cant connect to LTE will it drop down to the following H+, H, Edge and then to Voice Only.

If you choose 3G/2G it will connect again in the same manner.

If you see the 2 arrows moving then it is making a data connection, usually it is an application making a background data request.

Most people just leave Mobile Data connected, as most of the request are very small amounts of data being passed.

If you want to turn mobile data off, you can do so by swiping down from the top and you will see an option for mobile data if you click on this it will turn it off.

If you leave your handset connected to WiFi at home it should never connect to Mobile Data, unless your WiFi drops.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 8

O2Karl
  • 285 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 24 Solutions

Q: Should the network mode affect the phone signal? When I'm on LTE/3G/2G, the phone signal goes down to one bar. It's back to full strength when I'm on 3G or 2G. How does that work?

A: What this means is that 3G has a strong signal in your area, and 4G has a weaker signal but you can still get a good connection on 4G with a few bars, it’s all about test and trial. If you feel the 3G gives you a better experience then you can put the network mode in to 2G/3G just be aware that when moving away from that location your phone won’t be looking for an LTE signal, but you can turn it back on.

Q: Sometimes the network mode icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen flashes, which I think means it's trying to connect, or data is being transferred. This happens even when I'm not using the internet on the phone. I can't see a way off to turn off the network mode - it's just a case of choosing one of the four options. Is that normal that people are always connected? I was concerned about running up an unexpected bill or accidentaly using data. I can see how to the turn wifi on or off though and that seems to override the other choice if I want to go online.

A: When it comes to data usage, your smartphone is constantly connected to the internet, applications are working in the background, social media apps like WhatsApp, SnapChat etc and data based apps.

A lot of people stay connected constantly so these apps work when you are out and about, but some people do turn it off if they have low data.

Your data is automatically capped if bought through O2 so you should not get any additional charges.

If bought through a third party its worth checking it is capped by calling customer services on 202 or calling in to a store.

I hope that helps. slight_smile

signature
Message 6 of 8

SarahJane2
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you very much  @O2Karl  and  @madasaf1sh -  very helpful!

Message 7 of 8

O2Karl
  • 285 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 24 Solutions

No problem @SarahJane2 i'm happy we could help slight_smile

signature
Message 8 of 8