cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant receive texts or phone calls.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies in advance for the long read.

I recently started a new contract with O2 3 weeks ago, and for the first week (at most) it was working absolutely fine. Then last week I discovered that I could send texts (although would take some time to reach the person) and couldnt make or receive phone calls. I did a SIM swap this weekend which allowed me to send texts properly but not receive them, and make phone calls but not receive them. I went back to the store where they tried my SIM in another phone which showed no different results, implying the SIM is the problem still. Last night I did another SIM swap and still nothing has changed. I tried the SIM in my old phone and the same problems are occurring - send but not receive texts, make but not receive phone calls.

I find it unlikely that 3 SIM cards in a row are faulty (bearing in mind the first one worked for a week), which to me means that either my phone is somehow corrupting or breaking the SIM card, or it is some sort of account problem that is allowing outgoing but not incoming phone traffic.

My next plan, unless somebody suggests otherwise is to attempt another SIM swap (number 3), but this time quarantine my current phone and put it straight into my old phone, or another that they have in the store perhaps - to eliminate the possibility that my phone is at fault.

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I will say one thing @Anonymous no-one can fault your persistence in trying to get this sorted. I would probably have given up by now. Well done you. wink

Thank you, I have very tempted to just ignore the whole thing, particularly as it coincided with the release of Fallout 4 (so many lost gaming hours trying to sort it out, lif is so unfair), but I'd then be left with an improperly working phone where I can contact people but nobody can contact me - somewhat against the point.

At this point now though, I just need to determine if it is the fault of my phone or of O2 - you cant solve a problem until you know what's causing it.

Message 31 of 44

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Ah Fallout 4....Many on here have become 'obsessed' with this new game...Confused LOL

Not me as you see.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are the hero this forum deserves.

Message 33 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

For anybody still following this saga - I did another sim swap, putting directly into my old phone. Upon its activation, the person serving me phoned the number and it seemed to come through alright. "Yay!" I thought.

I then gave it a few minutes, walked around a bit then phoned up a mate and asked him to send me a text followed by a phone call. Five minutes later nothing, so I phoned him up and he said he tried both. So it seems the problem has gone nowhere, despite that confusing early success right after the swap.

What this does tell me, and the person at the shop when I went straight back, is that it is not a phone issue as it had not touched my current phone at this point, but must be an account issue.

So, thus armed with the fact that it is definitely not my fault, I delve into the realm of customer service... I may be some time.

Message 34 of 44

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Good luck. Get them to disconnect and reconnect you from the network.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 35 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok then, just finished talking to customer service - got bumped around from post to post a bit as they tried to establish what was wrong, but it seems like they've figured out the problem as a porting issue - it seems that, when I transferred my number from my old sim and network, not everything transferred correctly, so Ive been part of 2 separate networks and therefore anything on the O2 side worked fine, while anything still on the Orange side fell between the cracks.

They assure me they will contact Orange to try and fully transfer it all over within the next 5 working days, so hopefully there should be no more problems, or at least if they are they will already know about them and they will deal with them.

I shall update when something happens (or doesnt) for anybody still interested/suffering the same problems and is trawling through forums looking for a solution. Thanks everybody for your help and suggestions.

Message 36 of 44

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Quite possible. We've heard of many problems porting from Orange so hope that sorts it for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 37 of 44

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 38 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem as I have just changed from Orange to O2.  Have you solved the problem?

Message 39 of 44

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Ask o2 the get orange to resend the port files.

Currently using:
Message 40 of 44