cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant receive texts or phone calls.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies in advance for the long read.

I recently started a new contract with O2 3 weeks ago, and for the first week (at most) it was working absolutely fine. Then last week I discovered that I could send texts (although would take some time to reach the person) and couldnt make or receive phone calls. I did a SIM swap this weekend which allowed me to send texts properly but not receive them, and make phone calls but not receive them. I went back to the store where they tried my SIM in another phone which showed no different results, implying the SIM is the problem still. Last night I did another SIM swap and still nothing has changed. I tried the SIM in my old phone and the same problems are occurring - send but not receive texts, make but not receive phone calls.

I find it unlikely that 3 SIM cards in a row are faulty (bearing in mind the first one worked for a week), which to me means that either my phone is somehow corrupting or breaking the SIM card, or it is some sort of account problem that is allowing outgoing but not incoming phone traffic.

My next plan, unless somebody suggests otherwise is to attempt another SIM swap (number 3), but this time quarantine my current phone and put it straight into my old phone, or another that they have in the store perhaps - to eliminate the possibility that my phone is at fault.

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know it seems unlikely, but all I know it that none of the new sims work properly after being in my current phone, even in different phones, which is why I feel I need to try a new sim that hasnt been in my current phone. I know it sounds like a crazy, crackpot theory: "evil phone corrupting innocent simcards, spreading it's taint into any phone it touches" - it just seems unlikely that the simcards are either not working properly to begin with, spontaneously failing, or a service issue that is stopping phone traffic into my phone.

Message 11 of 44

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I know it seems unlikely, but all I know it that none of the new sims work properly after being in my current phone, even in different phones, which is why I feel I need to try a new sim that hasnt been in my current phone. I know it sounds like a crazy, crackpot theory: "evil phone corrupting innocent simcards, spreading it's taint into any phone it touches" - it just seems unlikely that the simcards are either not working properly to begin with, spontaneously failing, or a service issue that is stopping phone traffic into my phone.

I agree...it all appears to be pointing at the phone....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 44

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

I would point out here that you have 28 days to return faulty goods....so the longer you keep trying different fixes  ...your time is running out.

One last thing....Have you tried a back up and reset....?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 44

MI5
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
It is clearly either phone or network fault.
Do other people o O2 suffer similar issues in the same area?
If not, swap the phone before your 28 days are up.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 44

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

I would definitely do the phone swap now. At least you can then be sure whether it's the phone or account related.

Message 15 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable
No i havent tried a reset yet, but is something i will try soon.
In terms of returning faulty goods, i didnt actually get the phone from O2 with the contract, it was my brother's old phone he gave me when he upgraded, which is the only reason i got the contract as my old PAYG sim was not suitable. It worked absolutely fine when he gave it to me, and worked for a week when the contract started before i noticed said problems.
Message 16 of 44

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Your brothers old phone? I had no idea of that. Had he been having problems with it before he got a new one? Smiley Surprised

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 44

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Factory reset then before you do anything else. Make sure you have it backed up.

Message 18 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah right, sorry, probably should have mentioned that before.

He didnt say that he'd had any problems with it at all, and he's not the sort that would hide or lie about such things, it was simply just time in his contract that allowed him a new upgrade so he took it. But I shall contact him and ask if he had any such, or different problems with it.

Message 19 of 44

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

No problems at all @Anonymous

It does look as if back up and reset is the best option now then... as I mentioned above...Best of luck with it...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 44