cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant receive texts or phone calls.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies in advance for the long read.

I recently started a new contract with O2 3 weeks ago, and for the first week (at most) it was working absolutely fine. Then last week I discovered that I could send texts (although would take some time to reach the person) and couldnt make or receive phone calls. I did a SIM swap this weekend which allowed me to send texts properly but not receive them, and make phone calls but not receive them. I went back to the store where they tried my SIM in another phone which showed no different results, implying the SIM is the problem still. Last night I did another SIM swap and still nothing has changed. I tried the SIM in my old phone and the same problems are occurring - send but not receive texts, make but not receive phone calls.

I find it unlikely that 3 SIM cards in a row are faulty (bearing in mind the first one worked for a week), which to me means that either my phone is somehow corrupting or breaking the SIM card, or it is some sort of account problem that is allowing outgoing but not incoming phone traffic.

My next plan, unless somebody suggests otherwise is to attempt another SIM swap (number 3), but this time quarantine my current phone and put it straight into my old phone, or another that they have in the store perhaps - to eliminate the possibility that my phone is at fault.

Message 1 of 44
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok then, just finished talking to customer service - got bumped around from post to post a bit as they tried to establish what was wrong, but it seems like they've figured out the problem as a porting issue - it seems that, when I transferred my number from my old sim and network, not everything transferred correctly, so Ive been part of 2 separate networks and therefore anything on the O2 side worked fine, while anything still on the Orange side fell between the cracks.

They assure me they will contact Orange to try and fully transfer it all over within the next 5 working days, so hopefully there should be no more problems, or at least if they are they will already know about them and they will deal with them.

I shall update when something happens (or doesnt) for anybody still interested/suffering the same problems and is trawling through forums looking for a solution. Thanks everybody for your help and suggestions.

View solution in original post

Message 36 of 44
43 REPLIES 43

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous What sort of phone are you using?...and are you on contract or payg?

Also check your network status here http://status.o2.co.uk/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its an LG G2 and its a contract. I checked the network status for the area and it says its all working normally.

Message 3 of 44

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Can you try your sim in another phone? If it works then its  probably an issue with the phone. (I know you say you did this once before but you are on your 3rd sim now). I am also wondering if you have been given the wrong type of sim. Contract and payg are different..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well SIM number 2 the people in the store tried in a different phone on 2 separate times on 2 separate occasions that I took it there, as well as myself trying in my own old phone. And number 3 has been in my new phone and tried in my old phone as well. Until I can get back into the store again (probably this weekend), I have no other phones to try it in. I agree it seems likely that it is a problem with the phone as opposed to 3 separate SIM fails, which is why I think it might be worth trying yet another SIM swap but trying it in a different phone first, in case it IS my phone causing the problem which then spreads to the SIM. Either that or to, as was suggested by customer services when I spoke to them, try a different SIM that is known to definitely work, in my phone - unfortunately the people in the store said they didnt have any to try.

Also I would hope they would have noticed which type of SIM to give me, as I told them each time I was on contract and they had my account details open when they provided the SIM but I guess I cant be certain.

Message 5 of 44

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I am sure they should have known the correct sim @Anonymous but after so many fails I am just trying to rule things out step by step...

Have a look at your message centre number...

The message service centre settings are as follows:

+447802000332 for Pay Monthly
or
+447802092035 for Pay & Go

You'll need to check that the message centre number starts with +44 and not 0044

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/text-message-settings

I know you are also having problems with calls...but again checking various options...

Again...if these are correct it points even more to a phone fault

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 44

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

What about trying someone else's sim? A friend also on O2 (or one of the O2 store staff's)? 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

Service centre address is +447802000332, so that should be correct for my contract.

Message 8 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

I might ask one of the O2 staff next time im in there, whether they would feel comfortable with that im unsure. And my housemate was originally ok with the idea of trying his sim in my phone, but as soon as I mentioned (thinking out loud) the possibility that it was somehow my phone causing the problem with the sim, as farfetched as that may be, he decided not to try it.

Message 9 of 44

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

If you tried your sim in another device It wouldn't corrupt the other phone. It would just prove it was your phone at fault as opposed to a sim fault. ...(If it worked ok in the other phone) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 44