cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot open google apps

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't seem to get hold of Google without having to phone them, so this is a long shot, but I'm hoping someone here will know what to do.

I have a new samsung galaxy a3 2016 and it came with all the google apps pre-installed - google play, youtube, chrome, etc just like my old phone.

But, when I opened Google play to start downloading apps it asked me to verify my identity with a PIN. I'd never set a PIN. I also couldn't log in on the youtube app, or add a google account in the account set up bit, or sync the calendar.

I logged into my google account on my PC and I figured out how to make a PIN. I tried this PIN on my phone and I doesn't work.

I've looked everywhere I can think of for an answer - google, google help, the play store, message boards etc. I've tried clearing the cache and data for the apps, but I still can't get in.

I've managed to get apps elsewhere, but I'd really like to use google again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
It's a pain workaround but you can do this.
Wipe everything off phone using factory reset.
Add new account. Create new account on set up.
Once all set up and phone ready, go to settings, accounts and add new.
Add your current Google account as a second Google account.
Once finished setting up the present account you have already, go back and remove the one you created for setup.(press the new created account and then menu, remove account)
Come out menus and reboot phone.
It should now be just your present account showing and Google services should run off this account.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143432 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Turn off 2 step verification here https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1064203?hl=en
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, but 2-step verification isn't on, I just double checked.

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143432 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Can't think of anything else, certainly not anything else I use.
@viridis any ideas?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for trying and your time slight_smile

Message 5 of 8

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
It's a pain workaround but you can do this.
Wipe everything off phone using factory reset.
Add new account. Create new account on set up.
Once all set up and phone ready, go to settings, accounts and add new.
Add your current Google account as a second Google account.
Once finished setting up the present account you have already, go back and remove the one you created for setup.(press the new created account and then menu, remove account)
Come out menus and reboot phone.
It should now be just your present account showing and Google services should run off this account.
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! It seems to be working now grin

I realised as I was setting it up again, that I'd not used the set up process to add my account before - I tend to skip it and do it later, which hasn't been a problem before. Lesson learnt now though.

Anyway, I tried adding my current account this way (I figured I could always reset again if it didn't work) and it worked, so I didn't need to make a new account.

Everything looks OK, and most importantly I can access Google Play.

Thanks again, I'm really grateful slight_smile

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143432 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Glad you figured it out wink

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8