cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth: iMac can send to Nokia 1, but Nokia 1 won't send back. Any ideas, please?

Cumbriacalling
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi there

The problem's in the subject field. I can sit here with Nokia 1 shown in bold and clearly connected under Bluetooth devices on the iMac, the iMac has been paired and shows as connected on the Nokia 1, the Wifi is on and connected on both ... Bluetooth is on, Tethering is on (once I'd found it - no idea if this is right, but in desperation I looked at everything and found something about Bluetooth here too, so I turned it on) and I did manage to send a photo FROM the iMac TO the Nokia – so surely they are connected? – but not the other way ... I get an "unsuccessful" message every time. I tried a different route and did 'Browse files on [device] and select the Nokia 1' on the iMac, but it tells me 'The device does not have the necessary services'. All the right symbols are showing, but I cannot send a photo from the phone to the iMac. This is the ONLY network connectivity I need ... and it was fine on my lovely simple old phone. Can anyone help, please? I'm a really really basic user. I just want to send texts, calls in emergencies ... and take photos and send them to the iMac. I don't want any other internet use at all on the Nokia 1 (no emails, no browsing, nothing at all). If there are any other settings that I should check, I'd be very grateful. Many thanks

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cumbriacalling
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

(About an hour later ...)
It turned out to be High Sierra on the Mac that seemingly can't cope. It worked fine sending to OS 10.9.5 on an older machine. Online discussions mention that High Sierra is dodgy with Bluetooth. Hope this might help someone else.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cumbriacalling
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

(About an hour later ...)
It turned out to be High Sierra on the Mac that seemingly can't cope. It worked fine sending to OS 10.9.5 on an older machine. Online discussions mention that High Sierra is dodgy with Bluetooth. Hope this might help someone else.

Message 2 of 5

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
Also didn't Apple only allow iPhone to iPhone on Bluetooth not sure about mac that's another reason why I didn't like iPhone lol so if think it's the same like iPhone to Mac and Mac to iPhone but no other phone
Message 3 of 5

Cumbriacalling
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've never had an iPhone, so I don't know about the background there, but my previous phone – a nice simple Samsung Tocco-lite – had worked fine with Bluetooth and iMacs for 6 years (I only did the High Sierra upgrade some time this year). I only had to change the phone because I dropped it on concrete, the back plate smashed in one corner and the battery was bulging and it eventually gave up the ghost ... otherwise I would happily have kept it, so-o-o-o-o simple ... exactly what I needed it for. If that sounds Neanderthal ... well, I work from home and sit in front of two much larger screens permanently connected to the Internet without running out of charge/credit/signal/data ... and I'm highly unlikely to drop them either! Anyway, I hope flagging up the High Sierra issue may solve a mystery for someone else, even if can't solve the problem.

Message 4 of 5

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Cumbriacalling, thanks for posting about your issue and also the reason afterwards - might indeed end up helping someone else who might be struggling with this. slight_smile

Happy New Year!

Message 5 of 5