cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Android phone on the market now?

Anonymous
Not applicable
From a tech head or professional viewpoint.. not just because you may have that particular make/model... & why?.. Thank You!!..
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

Sony Xperia z2,
reasons: the major 3 (z2, s5, m8) are near enough on par hardware wise so it boils down to usage. I feel m8's sense launcher uses too many resources on stuff I'll never use and is the furthest away from "vanilla" android. Also touchwiz on s5 is getting ridiculous with the amount of gimmicky stuff that 90% of people never activate let alone use. It's also the most laggy of the 3 imo.
I also have seen a few videos of people testing waterproofing of s5 and after opening the back after, a significant amount of water was present.
Z2 is imo closest to vanilla android and is very quick, the cam is amazing unless it is quite dim lighting, then the cam is poor in some modes. There is very few gimmicky features on it but are usable ones.
Only issue I've had is when using 4k camera for more than 4 minutes caused an overheating warning. Not that bothered by this as I'll only do short videos anyway and I don't have a 4k TV anyway.

Edited to change referrals from s4 to correct s5

Message 2 of 12

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Of course there's always nexus 5 for pure android without any system hogs, but never used one so cannot comment either way.
Message 3 of 12

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

This is actually one you can base on price. If it's sub-£100, it will be pretty basic. If it's £200-£300 it will be punching it's weight but not quite in contention for the title belt. £300-£600 is where all the Heavyweights start to show their prowess. 

It depends what you need out of the handset however if you believe the media, you'll just end up with what they recommend. If you don't need gimmicks and good performance than go for Google Nexus or one of those Powered by Google Android models.

As for Cameras' I'm on the fence with this one, as in my opinion at least, there is no point having a fancy lens and processing only for it to be compressed and reduced in quality by the JPEG compression filters built into the camera software. I never buy a phone on this premise.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

IMO a lot of phones on the market have very similar specs.

Sometimes it's down to aesthetics too.

I personally like the Samsung Galaxy s5.

It's design and tech specs are high end.

Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I personally think the note 3 is the best at the moment
3gb ram s5 only has 2gb
S pen
Changeable battery
5.7 inch display
USB 3.0 support
4k video recording
Message 6 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Need to point out that the S4 is not intended to be waterproof and Touchwiz is an app launcher only.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I'm with Damien on this one but I do prefer the bigger screen. As always, the best option is to go instore and get the feel of working models.

Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Interesting debate. From the Android models I have used recently (S3, S4, Note 3) then I would have to agree (again 😉) with @Anonymous and say the Note 3. It is fast, big screen (for some too big though) and strong on performance. Typical Samsung would be my best descriptive
Message 9 of 12

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
On my post I did mean s5 on all cases referring to s4 and I had a brain fart.
Message 10 of 12