cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery issue returning in different way

Anonymous
Not applicable

I posted less than 2 months ago, having had a problem with my Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. It was not charging through a number of chargers and I had the issue resolved. The charger port was replaced and I got a new battery for safe measure. 

Now - over the past week - I have noticed something weird. For example, today at the start of my lunch break my battery was at 89%. I turned up the brightness for the glare and checked my messages online and it was 72% around 10 mins later, all normal. But 5 mins after beginning to play one of my games which of course uses a lot of power anyway, my phone switched itself off. I turned it back on and battery was at 1%. Tried to restart and failed to turn back on, so switched back on again and it went up to 32% briefly before jumping back down to 5% and switching off again. 

I left if off for about 10 mins and attempted to turn on again. Battery up to 62% which was what it would have been by then normally. Left on until I got home and stayed firmly at 58%. Again, I began playing a game and it switched off, going to 1 then 0%. When I began charging, it restarted itself a few times then began charging normally. Now it's fine, but I'm going to have to avoid games or any other apps that consume a lot of battery. 

So, what could be the problem now? I'm stumped.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Sounds like a faulty battery.
Is it a genuine Samsung one?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I ordered it online but it looks like a normal Samsung battery. 

My phone works okay when I don't use the games or watch YouTube, drops a little too much when I play my music through my headpones. Charges quick enough but I'm having to charge it too often if I'm using it a lot.

I'm not using normal Samsung charger though, as my 3 Samsung ones didn't work anymore and were too frayed/worn down. It is compatible and charges well but considered this could cause some problems in the longrun. 

Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The rapid loss of power in high drain applications points directly towards a battery issue, tbh.
When you say "online" where exactly do you mean?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon

Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Hmmmm, not guarantees it's genuine unfortunately.
How long have you had it?
Can you contact the seller and tell them it's faulty?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have had it over a month, not long after the charging port was replaced. Have tried just using old battery but that is not any better as it crashes on normal apps too with less predictability. 

I will contact the seller but they are quite a reliable company with good reviews for same product. The battery worked perfectly up until a week ago so may be able to get free replacement to see if this has same issue in another month, but might buy from o2 store to be safe.

Can't be the charger port so must be the battery! I also have had a problem with insufficient storage space for a while, the more updates there are the less space I have and have had to delete/uninstall several apps to be able to download updates. It obviously affects the speed, makes things lag and crash a lot and is very inconvenient. Could this be related or a seperate issue?

Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Insufficient storage will slow the phone down and make it laggy but it shouldn't give you those kinds battery issues.
Can you move any apps off the phone to the sd card at all or even just delete any non vital ones?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have tried and message comes up saying transfer to SD Card failed.

Looks like a new Samsung charger is needed regardless, but this storage problem has been around for a while, I've just managed it for a time but less space to work with now so can't download any more apps!

Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I would always advocate using a genuine charger, for sure. Generic ones may not be properly regulated and could, overcharge and damage a battery.
As far as storage is concerned, you have 8gb on board and the option to use an external sd card so you should have enough space.
It might be worth doing a back up and reset to clear out your cache and any rubbish files that are lying around.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 13