cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Galaxy S4 phones network Branded?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, getting my upgrade to a galaxy S4 soon and I was just wondering if Galaxy S4 phones that are purchased through o2 carry the network branding? so when you boot up the phone you might see the o2 logo appear, also are they locked to o2 or unlocked to take any sim?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Sometimes at the very beginning of a phones launch you will get sim free phones, but, by now I would expect them all to come network locked with network branded firmware. Dial *#1234# and look at the CSC. If it has "o2u" after I9505 then it's locked and branded.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Sometimes at the very beginning of a phones launch you will get sim free phones, but, by now I would expect them all to come network locked with network branded firmware. Dial *#1234# and look at the CSC. If it has "o2u" after I9505 then it's locked and branded.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers MI5

In the meantime if any s4 owners who purchased through o2 can tell me and post here you have branded/unbranded and date of purchase

I'll know tomorrow anyway, not a major problem, simple enough to debrand slight_smile and have stock firmware

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll know tomorrow anyway, not a major problem, simple enough to debrand slight_smile and have stock firmware

But only after you've unlocked it wink

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah easy !

Message 5 of 10

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions

The 3 staff members in my store who have S4's are all locked and branded O2, as have been every one I have seen sold.

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

It very easy to unbrand it, By using odin and the unbranded official firmware from http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/.

I have one  unbranded and one that WAS Branded. Smiley LOL

The unbranded 1st phone was from the release date of the 26th April, My branded phone was 6th may.

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
@Anonymous wrote:

It very easy to unbrand it, By using odin and the unbranded official firmware from http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/.

I have one  unbranded and one that WAS Branded. 

For those not as savvy as yourself the guide is here wink

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/HOW-TO-A-Guide-to-using-Odin/m-p/463464#M18334

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see you mention odin 3.7 , Just an heads up from the inside, 3.4 is much better more reliable apparently. wink

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
I've had no problems with 3.7 but the usual advice is to try a different version if you run into any problems....

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10