cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone with a SGSIII on 4.1.2 experiencing constant freezing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I received an in-phone notification last Tuesday from Samsung alerting me to an update to my existing 4.1.2 firmware so I went ahead with it. When the update finished, I noticed straight away that my phone was lagging considerably and when I cleared my RAM, it would take sometimes up to 20 seconds for my phone to become responsive again. This is my third Galaxy S device (after the SGSI and SGSII) so I'm very familiar with the OS and basic troubleshooting so I put this down to a need for a factory reset.

After factory resetting, I didn't install any apps for a while just in case it was a rogue app hanging but I noticed no change. In fact, it became worse. My phone would randomly freeze up. I'd be doing everyday stuff like browsing the internet/Twitter and my screen would just hang. Sometimes I would take it out of my pocket and I'd be unable to unlock it, it would just stay blank and the only way to revive the device would be to force restart either by holding the power button or removing the battery.

I spent about 4 hours researching the issue last night to see if it was a global problem or just my phone and I discovered that this issue was affecting hundreds of people, all on 4.1.2. One particular dev forum believes the issue points to a fault with devices bought around 5-7 months ago that all break and become corrupt with this software update. I've not rooted nor manipulated my device in anyway, this all happened after updating officially via Samsung.

Anyway, could someone suggest what I should do next? Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 111
110 REPLIES 110

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93220 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Decided to go through Samsung to get my phone fixed and they're using Anovo anyway.
Message 62 of 111

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Get your complaints letter written in advance wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 63 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since updating my SGSIII the week before last, I was getting freezing and reboots several times a day (sometimes several times an hour).  When it would glitch was unpredictable, but more noticeable in places where the network was weak and/or I was changing wireless access point.  I started to think it was a hardware issue with my phone, and was just preparing to go through the hassle of sending it back for repair...

Then there were a slew of app updates on Thursday which seemed to improve matters (I suspect the symptoms rather than the cause), but then there was another full Android update yesterday since when it's been rock solid.

I'm not going to count my chickens, but having been lucky to get about 2 hours between freezes/reboots (and not more than about 8 hours) for 1-2 weeks, my phone has been up since the update (29 hours ago).  Given that two Android updates in two weeks is unusual (to say the least), I'm guessing that there's a broken version in the wild which has now been fixed.

For information, the current version information on my phone is:

Android version: 4.1.2

Baseband version: I9300XXEMB1

Kernel version: 3.0.31-921399 se.infra@SEP-64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Feb 1 18:53:16 KST 2013

Build number: JZ054K.I9300XXEMB1

Hopefully it's something as simple as that - much better than having to sort out repairs!

Message 64 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable
Let us know how it goes.
Message 65 of 111

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/New-S3-Firmware-released-today/td-p/40...
we couldn't figure out what was new.... maybe just bug fixes after all.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 66 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could be. Certainly seems to have fixed my problems...fingers crossed!

Message 67 of 111

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Good luck.....

Currently using:
Message 68 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay. My phone has worked flawlessly for 101 hours now - more than four days - so I'm going to declare it fixed.

Looks like the update fixed some pretty nasty bug in the (slightly) earlier release.

I can't tell you how much more you appreciate your phone when you've not been able to rely on it for a week or two. 🙂

Message 69 of 111

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay. My phone has worked flawlessly for 101 hours now - more than four days - so I'm going to declare it fixed.

That's put the kiss of death on it then wink

Currently using:
Message 70 of 111