cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone with a SGSIII on 4.1.2 experiencing constant freezing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I received an in-phone notification last Tuesday from Samsung alerting me to an update to my existing 4.1.2 firmware so I went ahead with it. When the update finished, I noticed straight away that my phone was lagging considerably and when I cleared my RAM, it would take sometimes up to 20 seconds for my phone to become responsive again. This is my third Galaxy S device (after the SGSI and SGSII) so I'm very familiar with the OS and basic troubleshooting so I put this down to a need for a factory reset.

After factory resetting, I didn't install any apps for a while just in case it was a rogue app hanging but I noticed no change. In fact, it became worse. My phone would randomly freeze up. I'd be doing everyday stuff like browsing the internet/Twitter and my screen would just hang. Sometimes I would take it out of my pocket and I'd be unable to unlock it, it would just stay blank and the only way to revive the device would be to force restart either by holding the power button or removing the battery.

I spent about 4 hours researching the issue last night to see if it was a global problem or just my phone and I discovered that this issue was affecting hundreds of people, all on 4.1.2. One particular dev forum believes the issue points to a fault with devices bought around 5-7 months ago that all break and become corrupt with this software update. I've not rooted nor manipulated my device in anyway, this all happened after updating officially via Samsung.

Anyway, could someone suggest what I should do next? Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 111
110 REPLIES 110

Anonymous
Not applicable
But I don't know! Both O2 and Samsung use third-parties but I honestly can't see how travelling to SBE LTD tomorrow would be any different to using the company O2 uses or am I missing something? If they're both approved by Samsung. Like I said, I'm confused.
Message 51 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable
Basically the big difference is you will end up with a new phone from samsung vs a refurb from O2. You will still have at least 2, possibly 3 failed repair attempts with Samsung.
Message 52 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable
Forget failed attempts and refurbs vs new phone, I'm trying to get my head around the difference between Acaco and SBE LTD as they seen the same: independent companies approved by Samsung.
Message 53 of 111

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

We can only try and help and advise, ultimately you have to make the choice yourself and hope you have made the correct decision.

Message 54 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could you please just start from the beginning and advise me which route you think I should take and why?
Message 55 of 111

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
For the last time, based on my experience, Samsung route. This is the last I'll say as we are just going over and over the same ground.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 56 of 111

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
For the last time, based on my experience, Samsung route. This is the last I'll say as we are just going over and over the same ground.

Surely we could manage another six pages?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 57 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh I'm sorry I'm not tech savvy and my phone has never broken before

Message 58 of 111

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh I'm sorry I'm not tech savvy and my phone has never broken before

That may be true but you have been given all the options and want to go through it all again.

I would send it back to the maker.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 59 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fine ok.
Message 60 of 111