Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android System Webview disabled

Hobbysaddler
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've got the problem with apps stopping caused by the Android System Webview bug, but I haven't been able to do the update through Google Play Store. This is because my Android System Webview app is disabled on my phone (Moto G5), and the 'enable' box is greyed out. I can't uninstall the app either.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hobbysaddler
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Latest news. I have managed to solve the issue by installing an update of Chrome from the Play Store. My phone is now functioning correctly but Android System Webview is still disabled. I wonder if it always has been?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144142 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27617 Solutions

@Hobbysaddler 

Have you tried this way?

Go settings > apps > tap the three dots in the top right corner > show system apps > search for Android System WebView > select Uninstall updates.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Hobbysaddler
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, I've tried to do that. I can find Android System Webview in the apps list, but when I select it I don't get the three dots. Also 'Permissions' and 'Open by default' are greyed out. I'm stumped.

Message 3 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144142 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27617 Solutions

Can you update directly from Play store @Hobbysaddler ?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.webview

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

Hobbysaddler
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry about the delay.

I can't update from the Play Store - there's no button. I did reinstall Android System Webview through Google Chrome, but it hasn't made any difference.

I've decided to leave it for a few days to see if the next update of Chrome or Webview will solve the problem. After that, I'll consider doing a factory reset on my phone, or reinstalling Android (if that's possible). I'll try to get some professional advice locally. 

If only the shops were open I could ask my local O2 shop for help.

Thanks for your help in this. I do appreciate it.

Regards

Howard

Message 5 of 7

Hobbysaddler
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Latest news. I have managed to solve the issue by installing an update of Chrome from the Play Store. My phone is now functioning correctly but Android System Webview is still disabled. I wonder if it always has been?
Message 6 of 7

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6965 Solutions
Message 7 of 7