Did you mean: 

Android Messages removing leading 0 from numbers

JascaDucato
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 13 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi all,

Since upgrading my Sony Xperia XZ Premium to Andorid 9, I've been encountering an issue with Android Messages where the app is removing the leading 0 from the contact number, thereby rendering the number unreachable (I've highlighted "the app" because I am not 100% certain it is Messages fault, and not tied to O2 in some way or Sony's update).

This issue never occured before updating to Android 9, so I am fairly confident that this is factoring into the issue in some way - it is also worth noting that whilst uninstalling and reinstalling the app's updates resolves the issue temporarily, when I just received a text from "02" (note the zero, rather than the letter O) the problem returns. Indeed, when I look at my SMS log for that particular contact, it says I am in a "conversation with 2".

I know this is a user forum, but I am wondering if anybody else has encountered this issue, regardless of device model, or if it has been reported to O2 already? I should also point out that I have also been having trouble with an O2 mast being down in my area for the last two weeks, so my initial assumption was that it was tied to that in some way, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Many thanks in advance for your responses,

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
@viridis?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
I'll tag the resident Sony expert @viridis - any ideas?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 6

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Not seen anything like this, let me forward it and get back to you.
Message 4 of 6

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Hi, is it possible to test using a different messaging app such as textra etc.
Do you see the full number then?

Also, is it all contact numbers ? Or just this "02"(which isn't O2 btw)
Message 5 of 6

JascaDucato
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 13 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
The only SMS messaging app I use is the stock one, so I haven't tried it on any others as yet. Annoyingly, this appears to be the worst day to attempt any sort of testing, but I shall give it a go tonight.

That being said, it has just now occurred to me that this might be related to the SMS Widget I installed to replace the stock widget being phased out (god knows why!) A quick look at some reviews for it on Play Store shows others complaining about the same problem. Given that I only installed it after Android 9 (to replace stock) it seems that this is the most likely culprit.
Message 6 of 6