cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 4.3 update for Galaxy S3

Anonymous
Not applicable

While in South Korea last week my S3 automatically downloaded the 4.3 update while hooked up to hotel wi-fi. Tried to cancel but it kept on downloading. Clearly this is not the official O2 update! I postponed the the actual installation after reading that 4.3 on S3 is bad news, killing battery life etc. Having returned to the UK I now get a continual reminder to install that I can only postpone for 3 hours at a time. Every time the reminder pops up the phone stops whatever it was doing. Playing video or music etc. I've tried unsuccessfully to find the update file (450Mb) to delete it in the hope that would stop the reminders. I don't want this update. I know a factory reset is the last resort to kill it unless some one can advise where the file is to delete.

Thanks

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I updated my OS to 4.3 through Kies3 on my galaxy S3. Probably going to revert back to 4.2 because I am constantly getting an error message saying 'wi-fi connection is unstable'. Had a browse around on the web and it seems to be a common error with the firmware upgrade on the S3. If anyone here can shed some light on the situation or have any clues as to when this will be fixed id appreciate it

Message 11 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
It's just a bug. The connection is fine - Just ignore the message.
Expect a fix when Kitkat is released although Samsung have pushed a patch to S4's so they may do the same for S3's too....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ty MI5

Message 13 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
NP mate wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for additional info. I'm holding fire on doing anything at the moment as the annoying 3 hour reminder to install the downloaded update seems to have stopped. Just got the notification now that firmware has been downloaded

Jose

Message 15 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is 4.3 actually officially released yet on O2 for S3? I only ask because I thought there was a response that tagged it 'Unofficial', but I can't find that. But with the update still pending on my phone and not installed, when I connected to Kies over the weekend it said my phone software was up to date and I'm still 4.1.2. So now I really don't know what this update was I received in Korea!

Thanks

Message 16 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Personally I WOULDN'T install given the issues and the limited improvements 4.3 offered but if you choose to do so and if it goes wrong @MI5 has the details on how to fix.
Message 17 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
wouldn`t bother with 4.3 if you can help it, its a step backwards for sure. The wifi bug comes and goes even after resetting etc. There are battery issues as well. In fact if they alleged 4.4 KitKat update does not come can see me rooting and going custom ROM instead.
Message 18 of 18