cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 4.3 update for Galaxy S3

Anonymous
Not applicable

While in South Korea last week my S3 automatically downloaded the 4.3 update while hooked up to hotel wi-fi. Tried to cancel but it kept on downloading. Clearly this is not the official O2 update! I postponed the the actual installation after reading that 4.3 on S3 is bad news, killing battery life etc. Having returned to the UK I now get a continual reminder to install that I can only postpone for 3 hours at a time. Every time the reminder pops up the phone stops whatever it was doing. Playing video or music etc. I've tried unsuccessfully to find the update file (450Mb) to delete it in the hope that would stop the reminders. I don't want this update. I know a factory reset is the last resort to kill it unless some one can advise where the file is to delete.

Thanks

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

If you are able to postpone the update in time, you can stop this by going to System Settings > Apps > All Running Processes. Find the Google Framework service. Select that, choose to clear the data cache and stop it running.

You can then choose to make sure any updates are only downloaded over Wi-Fi only in the About Phone > Update settings. Unfortunately this is tied to the whole Google thing and there is no separate Google Update service that I am aware of.

I kept refusing the Kitkat 4.4 update until 4.4.2 was available for my Nexus 7 (2012).

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You can't unless you are rooted/
What makes you think it's not official update?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 18

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

If you are able to postpone the update in time, you can stop this by going to System Settings > Apps > All Running Processes. Find the Google Framework service. Select that, choose to clear the data cache and stop it running.

You can then choose to make sure any updates are only downloaded over Wi-Fi only in the About Phone > Update settings. Unfortunately this is tied to the whole Google thing and there is no separate Google Update service that I am aware of.

I kept refusing the Kitkat 4.4 update until 4.4.2 was available for my Nexus 7 (2012).

Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

ok, thanks for that.

I only assumed it wasn't the O2 update since I was roaming on SK Telecom.

Message 4 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Your phone is programmed to only accept the correct update for your handset, nothing else comes in OTA.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying.

Under Running Apps there are two Google Services processes:

the first has these services:

NetworkLocationService

GcmService

GoogleMessagingService

And the second has these services:

GoogleLocationService

NlpLocationReceiverService

GoogleLocationManagerService

None of which seem to be what you mentioned, so am I looking in the wrong place?
Thanks

Message 6 of 18

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Ok.

Under All running apps you should find this.

You need to search for Google Services Framework. Select that, you should have a few choices - Clear Cache, Clear Data, Force stop and Disable.

This is on my Nexus 7 that I referenced however it should be the same under Touchwiz.

What is currently the status of the S3 handset?

Message 7 of 18

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I should say, I might sometimes presume knowledge before hand of these things. So if I have mentioned something that doesn't quite make sense or you don't understand let me know.

The above service, essentially controls most things to do with you Google Account concerning the functionality of the services including the Play Store, Update services, GMail and other aspect which synchronised with the Google servers.

So whilst disabling the service is not practical, clearing the data cache will remove any unwanted background updates. This might not be needed now, although maybe something to remember for the future.

Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Ok, I found Google Services Framework.

The options I have are: Force Stop, Disable, Clear Data.

Cache is empty.

Phone status is normal. Android version 4.1.2

Does 'Clear Data' remove the update file?

There is a message on the 'talkandroid' site from last November advising the danger of clearing the Framework app. And doing so probably results in needing to do factory reset. Your thoughts on that. Am I right not wanting to continue with the 4.3 update? General concensus is that it is a battery killer among other 'not good' aspects,

Thanks

Message 9 of 18

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

No you won't need to do a factory reset, a cluttered Dalvik Cache might prompt you do that though.

After you back up your handset (which you should do), I would possibly do a factory reset. Then after you back up the handset, you could proceed to update to 4.3 Jellybean and it would be a clean slate to start from. Updating that from a basic status to rule out any Gremlins.

Sometimes  the preference is to do a complete refresh and place the whole ROM in place of the other one. However it's up to you.

I have never had any issues clearing the framework personally afterall it's only a service and it inherits it's data when you log back into Google. Maybe there is something I don't know about there although it sounds like scaremongering.  

Clearing the cache will remove the downloaded files I'm sure. The data cache being cleared will remove the prompt to update. When the handset tries again, it may download without prompting. Unfortunately, you would need to be rooted to be able to control this feature.

Message 10 of 18