cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 4.2.2 on HTC One Query

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all, new, well, had to re-register.  Been around.  Anyway, had alot of phones, tend to review and move on.  Recently had Nexus 4, S3 and the Xperia Z.  Currently using the HTC One as my daily driver and love it.  Haven't liked a phone this much since the Note 2.  

Anyway, Android updates.  The thorn in the side of every Android user the world over.  I know certain manufacturers are awful in updating devices, Sony being the worst for getting even the Beta testing done.  HTC and Sony alike were quoted as saying 4.2.2 will be released soon after launch, so that'll be about 9 months for Sony.

HTC have released Android 4.2.2 and is expect mid-June.  If O2 get this mid-June, does anyone know what there turn-around is?  Sometimes branded phones get the update first over international versions; experienced this quite alot.  Sadly O2 lock their phones that you buy instore; not doing that again. Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Updates are linked to the phones current firmware. Unlocking does not change the firmware and therefore will not change the availability of updates. Only flashing unbranded firmware will do this for you which is only possible after you have unlocked the bootloader (there are some exceptions before anyone mentions Sony phones but I'm talking generally).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
If you're waiting for O2 you should get it by Christmas....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

MattHead93
Level 3: Thinker
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Slightly off-topic, but a thought as I read through this - if you bought the handset through O2, and then had it unlocked, would you receive the update sooner?
Sorry if the answer is blatantly obvious! Just wanted some confirm the thought.
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jeez, that's bad.  I will have sold the phone on by then.

Not sure about unlocking the phone and being able to receive the update.  Might be possible if rooted. 

Message 4 of 7

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Simply unlocking the phone wouldn't get you the update any sooner, although if another network was to release it before O2 (and they will) theoretically you could insert their sim and maybe get it quicker.

Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Updates are linked to the phones current firmware. Unlocking does not change the firmware and therefore will not change the availability of updates. Only flashing unbranded firmware will do this for you which is only possible after you have unlocked the bootloader (there are some exceptions before anyone mentions Sony phones but I'm talking generally).

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not yet released for unbranded UK handsets - been checking daily on mine, nothing as yet slight_frown

Message 7 of 7