Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amoled screen help

Juju79
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 19 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've had a Samsung s8 plus for 2 years and need to upgrade. I've always been fine with the S8. I tried an iPhone xs max recently, liked it but obviously a huge change. My issue mainly was the screen made my eyes feel strange and quite woozy. Does the iPhone xs max screen differ to Samsung s8 plus?

Also does anyone know what display the S10 or s10 plus will have? I'm considering staying with Samsung and upgrading when their phones are released but just hoping their displays aren't going to be like the XS Max and make my eyes feel woozy.

I think I read the XS Max and samsung use super amoled but maybe apples is different and why it made me feel woozy. Quite strange but I read its happened to others using the apple xs max.

Thank you.
Ju
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

The S10 will use the Samsung infinity O super amoled display which will be tuned in the same manner as the S8, S9, etc.
Whilst Samsung do provide some amoled screens to apple, it is rumoured (apple never confirm rumours) that the xs series would be Samsung's last apple model before LG provide displays.
The reason the display might seem off to you is that apple will tune their display to fit into their requirements for the apple colour profile, as such they might choose to keep blue levels at X amount versus the red and green in order to maintain the apple white point.
Samsung white point is much warmer than apples which in itself is more pleasant for your eye to take in, but might suffer a 0.7% accuracy compared with another tuned panel of the same type.
In short, if apple panels make you woozy, then they will always possibly do this, if S8 is pleasant for you, S10,11,12,13 will also, as they follow Samsung's tuning

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@viridis can tell you all about the different screen types.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Juju79 This link might give you an idea of what's on the horizon for Android phones: https://www.techradar.com/news/mwc-2019-what-to-expect-from-the-biggest-mobile-show-of-the-year

If you want to get locked into the proprietary world of iPhone, that's entirely your decision.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 7

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

The S10 will use the Samsung infinity O super amoled display which will be tuned in the same manner as the S8, S9, etc.
Whilst Samsung do provide some amoled screens to apple, it is rumoured (apple never confirm rumours) that the xs series would be Samsung's last apple model before LG provide displays.
The reason the display might seem off to you is that apple will tune their display to fit into their requirements for the apple colour profile, as such they might choose to keep blue levels at X amount versus the red and green in order to maintain the apple white point.
Samsung white point is much warmer than apples which in itself is more pleasant for your eye to take in, but might suffer a 0.7% accuracy compared with another tuned panel of the same type.
In short, if apple panels make you woozy, then they will always possibly do this, if S8 is pleasant for you, S10,11,12,13 will also, as they follow Samsung's tuning

Message 4 of 7

Juju79
  • 19 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you so much.

Is the new infinity O much different to their regular display as on the S8 and S9?

I shall stick with Samsung I think. Now to decide which new model to buy. I currently have the S8 plus but the S10 plus looks bigger.

Thanks for your help.

Ju
Message 5 of 7

Juju79
  • 19 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you Bambino

I shall take a look..

Apple I noticed is very restricted and I did miss all the features of Samsung. There are things I like on Apple, they get updates, no lag etc I'm on Samsung s8 plus on o2 and not had an update in ages and I check often. I've not had the new Samsung update which is a shame. The phones also been lagging badly the last 6 months. It was one reason I tried Apple but I found apple too plain and boring after just a day trying it.

Thanks
Message 6 of 7

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
To be fair I've not had lag off any android since 2012.
A lot of people still compare iPhones fluidness to say a £99 cheap droid and say there's lag on android..
..no, there's lag on cheap phones.
Message 7 of 7