Did you mean: 

5G SIM. eSIM and Bluetooth rSAP and the S20 Ultra

Shuntfield
Level 3: Thinker
  • 41 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Hello

I'm after what could be a simple answer to a complex problem.

I have an Audi, and a Galaxy S10 that uses Bluetooth rSAP to connect the phone to the car, that way the mobile hotspot in the car works a few other things work and I get a better signal in the car because it uses the cars external antenna. Very happy and this is my "must have" function.

So I upgraded to the S20 ultra, which also works as it should as described above.

If I upgrade my contract to one that uses 5G, will this function stop?

If I upgrade I assume I need a new SIM card, again will bluetooth rSAP no longer work?

If I go a stage further and get a 4G or 5G eSIM, again, will rSAP stop?

Essentially I don't want the rSAP function to be spoiled, I dont know if there is a way of being able to test it without going beyond a point of no return. Only to be told theres no way back.

I guess the best way would be to find someone with an Ultra with a 5G SIM/eSIM that can test it in the car, I don't know anyone else with an ultra close by that might be tricky.

Does anyone have an idea if I will lose rSAP functionality with a 5G SIM and contract?

The SIM I have is about a week old because I had to get it changed, it says 4G on it so I assume that its not a "new 5G compatible" SIM.

Thanks

Shunts...

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Shuntfield
Level 3: Thinker
  • 41 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
I suppose it's whoever the OEM for they system in the car is.
My guess is that the Audi one be someone like Harmon Kardon which if I'm not mistaken would ultimately be Samsung.
The phone works well in the car, took the shine off it with an eSIM but still I put a regular one back in and its back working fine 👍
Message 11 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Pleased it's all working for you mate.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 15

Shuntfield
  • 41 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I can now answer this myself.

I will update it and mark it as solved, so that if anyone else has the same problems then they can come back here.

Ultimately:

With rSAP - Particularly Audi:

The Cellular and Bluetooth Interface is OEM made for Audi by Harmon - a "Samsung" Company. So in theory there should be little incompatibility with Samsung Devices.

The Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra (and presumably any of the Galaxy S20 devices) will NOT work with an eSIM in rSAP mode, it will work in Handsfree Mode. (HFP - Profile)

The Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra - will work with rSAP on Android 10 with a 5G and 4G SIM card from O2. (To identify which one you have the number on the SIM will show 4GPP or 5GPP respectively)

NB; a 5G SIM will not allow the vehicles cellular interface to connect to the 5G network unless the car contains a 5G hardware cellular interface, mine does not.

If you enable VoLTE, (4G) or WiFI Calling in your account, you may risk that the phone will not work on a 3G network once it has disconnected from an rSAP connection, until it has been restarted (or the SIM ejected and reinserted) causing an IMSI Handshake to take place between the network and the phone. I had a new SIM provisioned without this and this resolved the problem.

Incidentally and a side issue, the Qi Wireless Charger in my Audi, is also made by Harmon - a "Samsung" company, when I had a problem with it, I spoke to both Audi UK and Samsung, and Samsung's response was "We dont recommend you charge your phone with anything other than a Samsung Charger" cheers for that SMH. cowboy

For anyone thats interested or who doesn't know:

rSAP is remote SIM access profile in Bluetooth, it allows the car to "copy" the SIM into the vehicle and allows the cars electronics to make use of the SIM cards service, it allows WiFi to be used in the car and the data services in the vehicle to work with your own O2 contract as well as making calls, it also benefits from using the external antenna on the roof of the car.

HFP just allows you to make calls via the inbuilt electronics.

I hope this has been of use to someone. 

Shunts...

Message 13 of 15

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Great follow up and thanks for explaining it fully.
The eSim part is not fully surprising - o2 seem to have issues with the iPhone version of eSim as well (with calls failing on occasion).
Wonder if the problem is because there is no sim to copy as such, and the software on one or both sides does not know what to do.
Rather amusing regarding the wireless charger. Left hand, meet right hand style faux pas!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 14 of 15

Shuntfield
  • 41 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@gmarkj yes, I think you're right with the eSIM, though I'm just happy that the Galaxy Dual SIM models are now implimenting the rSAP with success. Previous incarnations of Dual SIM handsets wouldn't do it.

I'd desire an eSIM but its just nice rather than required. As long as it works rSAP in the car, then I am happy, I don't mind paying the money to Audi's in car service from Datainside but I'd rather use my own data plan from O2 when I have 100Gb to burn.

I thought I would come back here and report it, its something specific that one person might google in the future.

joy

Shunts...

Message 15 of 15