Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5.1 update for xperia z1

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Does anyone know when or if the 5.1 update will be available for the xperia z1?

The last message from Sony (http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2015/07/21/android-5-1-lollipop-rolls-for-the-xperia-z3-and-xperia-z2-se... was that the update was being released for z2/z3 (etc) on 21 July with z1 and the rest "over the coming weeks".

Given that was 5 weeks ago, what's happening?

As a slight aside, how do people view o2 for sending updates? Better or worse than other networks? And are Sony better or worse than other manufacturers? (Obviously this is all interpretation, unless someone has tracked who issues updates, when and how long it took!!)

Ta,

Gary

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
May need to factory reset or do a software repair via PCC.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 28

gmarkj
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Just checked the notification (as it has come on again) and it is actually that I have used 75% of the internal memory. For reference, of the total internal that could be used (11.71 Gb) I have 2.56 Gb free.

I clear the cache through settings>storage and use clean master to clear "junk files" as it calls them, but still keep getting this notification.

Seems daft that the system repeatedly notifies the user of this error but there is no way to turn it off...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 22 of 28

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
You keep getting the notification because you still have low storage.
In settings, storage,
What amounts are being taken up by apps, system etc?
Message 23 of 28

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Is there not a "don't show this again" tick box?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 24 of 28

gmarkj
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

@viridis - memory usage as below:

total space 11.71 Gb

available 2.37 Gb

Apps 5.27 Gb

Pictures/Videos 2.83 Gb

Audio 31.98 Mb

Downloads 27.61 Mb

Cached data 215 Mb

Misc 0.92 Gb

There are maybe a few apps I can get rid of, and could back up and remove some photos but there is not much else I can remove.

To put it into context, I need to keep 2.93 Gb free to avoid seeing the notification.

It is less an issue of how much space is free as more an issue of turning off the notification - @MI5 there is no tick box or anything. And if I press on the notification (which says to press to transfer stuff to SD) nothing actually happens!!

Message 25 of 28

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
@MI5 there is no tick box or anything. And if I press on the notification (which says to press to transfer stuff to SD) nothing actually happens!!

A missed opportunity by Sony then it would seem.

In settings >Storage does the option to transfer to SD card work ?

Currently using:
Message 26 of 28

gmarkj
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@gmarkj wrote:
@MI5 there is no tick box or anything. And if I press on the notification (which says to press to transfer stuff to SD) nothing actually happens!!

A missed opportunity by Sony then it would seem.

In settings >Storage does the option to transfer to SD card work ?

Nope, that doesn't work either.

If I go into Settings>Apps I can manually move (some) apps but there is nothing to indicate an easy way of doing en masse...

TBH I'd rather the notification go away - with over 2GB of internal storage it's hardly "low" or warranting this much attention!!

Message 27 of 28

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'd have to agree and I guess if they gets lots of complaints they'll address it with a patch.

Currently using:
Message 28 of 28