Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g calling, VoLTE icon not displayed?

dougwzz98
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 35 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have a Galaxy S9+, 4g calling is enabled in my account and enabled in the mobile settings on the phone itself. The O2 coverage map indicates I'm in a good area where 4G calling is enabled. However I'm never seeing the VoLTE icon in the status bar. Friend of mine with a Galaxy (on EE) see's the VoLTE icon all the time with VoLTE calling active.

I think that 'Voice over LTE' and '4G calling' are the same thing, so why do I never see the VoLTE icon? Does anyone else enabled for 4G calling see the VoLTE icon?  

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

BigDaddyUK
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 148 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

And one more. Status bar 4g+, o2 map show me I'm in coverage area, but o2 checker text me Sorry we don't have 4g calling in this area!!! :)))

Screenshot_20190219-183225_Chrome.jpg

| Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 5G 12/512Gb | Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Soon |
Message 31 of 39

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143437 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@BigDaddyUK wrote:

Hi. Did you see that one!?

Today checked 4G ..

When calling 4G+, in the coverage area (VoLTE / 4G Calling), the icon changes to H+. If you enable LTE ONLY, you can not call, the call is reset !!!

That's because you don't have  4g calling in your area.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 32 of 39

BigDaddyUK
  • 148 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This means that in Kingston upon Hull there is no support for 4g calling at all !! Now it is clear! :((((

Message 33 of 39

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@BigDaddyUK wrote:

This means that in Kingston upon Hull there is no support for 4g calling at all !! Now it is clear! :((((

If that's the case I would be looking for another network. I do realise that this may be a problem for those tied in to a long contract so let's hope the city is due to be upgraded.

Message 34 of 39

BigDaddyUK
  • 148 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie

Thanks for the advice! This is what I will do, but after 12 months ... slight_smile

Message 35 of 39

BigDaddyUK
  • 148 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

In general this is a strange situation.
I sold my Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus and bought a OnePlus 6T. Great device !! Bought not from O2. For the Open Market device (SIM FREE). And it is a miracle!!!! On it as soon as I inserted the O2 SIM card, I immediately earned 4G Calls and WiFi Calling. :)))
I.e. Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus for Open Market did not work and O2 is not supported (only from O2 devices) and OnePlus 6T for Open Maket is supported!! Just mystic!

:)))))

More info
More info

Message 36 of 39

HellDiverUK
  • 21 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I recently moved to O2, and was using a Oneplus 7.  No problems with VoLTE or VoWifi.  The Oneplus had other problems, so returned it, and meanwhile used a Mi 8 Pro.  VoLTE and VoWiFi worked once I put in the magic code to disable carrier checking, and had the little VoLTE symbol.

Noe I've just got a Samsung S10, and it doesn't show VoLTE icon, but seemingly does do VoLTE as I get HD calling, and 4G stays active while on a call.  Strange.  It's a Sim-free phone bought from Argos.

Also strange is my area is not listed as 4G calling at all - maps only show Belfast city as having 4G calling, and I'm 30 miles up the road in Antrim!

OnePlus 8 Pro 8/256GB Grey, Huawei Nova5T 6/128GB Blue, iPhone XS Max 256GB Grey
Message 37 of 39

MI5
  • 143437 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
From memory, you don't get a VoLTE icon on Samsung phones with O2.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 38 of 39

BigDaddyUK
  • 148 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It's the same story, but with the Galaxy S20 Ultra !!! :(((

Message 39 of 39