Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g calling, VoLTE icon not displayed?

dougwzz98
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 35 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have a Galaxy S9+, 4g calling is enabled in my account and enabled in the mobile settings on the phone itself. The O2 coverage map indicates I'm in a good area where 4G calling is enabled. However I'm never seeing the VoLTE icon in the status bar. Friend of mine with a Galaxy (on EE) see's the VoLTE icon all the time with VoLTE calling active.

I think that 'Voice over LTE' and '4G calling' are the same thing, so why do I never see the VoLTE icon? Does anyone else enabled for 4G calling see the VoLTE icon?  

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 39
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dougwzz98
  • 35 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

An update on this, I think I'm just not in right situation for 4G calling to activate. It seems it's very dependant on the signal strength of both the 4G and 3G networks in a given location, and theres no way with O2's implementation of it to 'force' the situation. I gather other networks provide settings to get some control over this (e.g. to always use VoWiFi when available, whereas O2 automatically switch VoWiFi on and off depending on the 4G signal strength from moment to moment and theres no user control available). Similarly I think other networks allow you to prefer 4G calling over 3G, but O2 again seem to handle this automatically based on signal strength (and maybe network congestion and other factors).

I can force VoWifi to activate all the time by going into flight mode and then just turning on my WiFi connection.That works fine, but it seems there is no equivalent test for VoLTE short of turning off the 3G network in my areawink

So I'll keep on eye on it as I travel around and see if one day I get that voice call where my 4G connection also stays activeBouncy

Thanks to all and especially Emilie for the offline assistance.  

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It all depends on the firmware on your phone. You may just see 4G displayed when on a call.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 39

dougwzz98
  • 35 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks, I'm sure I'm on the latest firmware. From what I've read the VoLTE icon should be displayed if the phone is VoLTE capable and enabled (i.e. on all the time regardless of whether or not a call is in progress).  That's why I wanted to know if other O2 users with 4G calling enabled see the VoLTE icon or not...

Message 3 of 39

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9992 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

Are you using an o2 variant or Sim Free.. 

What i have noticed is that the VOL LTE icon doesnt always appear on devices. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 39

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Are you seeing 4G displayed when on a call or only 3G?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 39

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:

Are you using an o2 variant or Sim Free.. 

What i have noticed is that the VOL LTE icon doesnt always appear on devices. 

I guess on generic firmware it is enabled and for network devices, it will be the choice of the network.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 39

dougwzz98
  • 35 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

This is an O2 phone so O2 firmware. During a call (and I've tested this from my friends phone where the VoLTE icon is on) on my phone the 4g icon *always* drops to H or H+...hence my initial query as I thought with 4G calling the phone should maintain the 4G connection. So (despite 4G calling on my account and the 4g toggle enabled on the phone) I don't think 4G calling is working for me, which is why I was interesting in whether or the not the VoLTE icon shows on other O2 phones...

Message 7 of 39

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

It's not working, hence the reason I asked if it showed 4g or 3g in a call.
You need to give customer services a call to find out why?

If you previously had an iPhone, you might still be on iData which will prevent certain features working on an Android device.
Also, what is your CSC ?

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/wifi-and-4g-calling#samsung-setup

Currently using:
Message 8 of 39

dougwzz98
  • 35 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Yes, I don't think it's working either.

I've never had an iPhone.

CSC is G965FOTF1BRF7.

Do I need a newer SIM card? I've had this SIM over 2 years (previously in an S7, never got VoLTE on that either despite it being apparently enabled). Although the SIM is 4G enabled is that enough to also enable 4G calling? 

I'll give customer service a call, but also appreciate any futher advice you might have - thanks. 

Message 9 of 39

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
When did you update to that version?
I'm not aware of anything specific required on the sim for VoLTE but it won't hurt to get a new one either.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 39