cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G+

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys, do you think that O2 will release or has in the pipe line for them to enable 4G+   (like EE has at the moment on there network?)

Would be great if they could, O2 network speeds on 4G are not the best - I average out around 20 to 30 mbps?

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
I do hope they do release it in more areas, I've got a Samsung Galaxy S6, I've never had to this date 4G+ on my mobile. I would presume it would be in major cities like London?
Message 11 of 43

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144186 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
There is no map for 4g+ as far as we are aware so wouldn't know.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 43

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I know this thread is about 4G+ ...I have to say I was pleased to see 4G in Gt Yarmouth this weekend. When I was last there (3 years ago) I was lucky if I got a signal at all. Having said that...it was interesting to see the fluctuations in signal during the journey ....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I can tell there is no roll out planned or at least no announcements I can trace on google, but as per the article I posted before 4g is meant to have a much higher speeds theoretically. I would assume some investment in infra structure is needed so maybe it will happen after all this take over stuff, maybe it is already happening and someone in the marketing department missed the boat.

Message 14 of 43

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
You're not taking congestion into account.
Plus, theoretical speeds on anything seldom see the light of day
Message 15 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

True enough I'm looking at it more from the perspective that 4G+  is not the next stage of 4G rather just the natural evolution of the product heading towards the standard as set out. However, the marketing does seem to posit it as the next step

It appears (from what I have read anyway) that most of the problem is infrastructure, the cell towers are not able to handle the amount of channels and the handsets that would actually be compatible (its something to do with aerials, but no one has put a number on it yet).

We have seen already that in some areas people can get 60mbs, and figures seem to be sparse on what the average a website (which I have never heard of before and so therefore I do doubt its accuracy, but its the only figures I have) claims average 4G+ speeds are 42 mbps. So the evidence would be that O2 already (in some areas) offer the equivalent, they are just not marketing it as 4G+.

So in a nutshell my opinion is that 4G+ is just marketing speak.

Its not a slow work week at all....

Message 16 of 43

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I was in the same area today as the above and got 55mb the area is near a uk military base in south somerset the mast is approx 1.5 in from where I did the test and another mast is approx 3km away both were in Line of sight.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 17 of 43

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

While out and about in "town" (Rushden, NN10 area) yesterday I noticed that I had a 4G+ signal, so quickly ran a speedtest...

Not a bad speed really!

Screenshot_2016-05-17-17-29-13[1].png

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 18 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just got 64meg in Leeds
Message 19 of 43

MI5
  • 144186 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Well done slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 43