Did you mean: 

4G & WiFi Calling coming soon to Pixel 3 devices

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Great news everybody,

As of yesterday the latest update for the Google Pixel 3 and 3XL has started rolling out. The build number is PQ2A.190205.001. This will be a staggered release and we anticipate an approximate 50% saturation by mid-week, with the update hopefully becoming available to all Pixel 3 devices by around the start of next week.

Once you've installed the update, you can find the 4G & Wi-Fi calling options by going into:
Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile network > Advanced

So, keep your eyes peeled Pixel 3 & 3XL owners - you should get the update soon. Let us know how you get on, if you love it, or if you encounter any issues.

PS. To avoid any confusion, a similar update is also coming for the Google Pixel 2 & 2XL, and the original Pixel and Pixel XL, though it won't include the 4G & WiFi calling functionality. Software build numbers as follows:
- Pixel & Pixel XL - PQ2A.190205.003
- Pixel 2 & Pixel 2 XL - PQ2A.190205.002

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122367 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Good news @Chris_K

Lots of people been asking since you have been away...wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
Do o2 test the pixel software or is it pushed straight out by Google and that good news that the 4g calling will be available
Message 3 of 13

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@liggerz87 wrote:
Do o2 test the pixel software or is it pushed straight out by Google and that good news that the 4g calling will be available

We test the software for all Google Pixel's slight_smile

Message 4 of 13

BW118
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Chris, can you confirm if there will be an update regarding wifi calling for the Huawei P20 Pro soon? I have had mine from O2 since July 18 with no signal indoors and although you have turned wifi calling on for my account, I have no options under Dialler or Networks to choose it.

Message 5 of 13

Jimbob1972
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've got the option to turn on wifi calling, however, it doesn't seem to work.
On the guru pages, it shows an option to select a preferred choice of either mobile or wifi, I don't have that option, it just tells me that mobile is the preferred option back on the mobile network page in the advanced section.
Message 6 of 13

keyser
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just FYI I got my pac from o2 on 21st Feb and when asked why I was leaving let them know its because o2 don't support wifi calling on pixel 1. No one corrected me about this news I just stumbled upon this. I'm trialing elsewhere for now (and it works).

I'm confused about why wifi calling takes so long to setup per phone per tariff tbh. The Pixel 3 has been out for 4 months and has just now got wifi calling support.

Message 7 of 13

keyser
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Chris_K does this mean that in theory a future Pixel 4 might have wifi calling feature straight away?

Message 8 of 13

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@keyser wrote:

@Chris_K does this mean that in theory a future Pixel 4 might have wifi calling feature straight away?

Hey, sorry for the delay - I missed this one.

All operators will have different ways of implementing Wifi & 4G calling technology between the phone and network. Sometimes a new phone will arrive with the functionality enabled out-of-the-box, but other times it will require different implementations and in-depth & exhaustive testing.

With regards to future Pixel devices (if or when they arrive or get announced), until we receive the devices and test the software, it's difficult to comment on... They may arrive with it enabled from the start, of may arrive with a future update.

Message 9 of 13

DarkInformer
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi Chris

Now that the Pixel 4 is released I've actually bought one on an O2 2 year contract through mobiles.co.uk and was advised that VoLTE and WiFi Calling were available by adding them to my account. Seems that was a little misleading. Given that I have read that O2 won't be ranging the Pixel 4 / 4 XL does this mean I'll never see these features, or they may arrive within three to four months as they did with the 3/3 XL?

I've noted that the Utility Menu (*#*#4636#*#*) indicates both are provisioned for my O2 e-sim which is a little encouraging. I just don't see the option to activate in the Network options in Android 10.

Any information you have would be helpful and will guide my next steps given the advice I've received from O2 shop/mobiles.co.uk

Thanks

Darren
Message 10 of 13