Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£3 charge from Watch It for TVMulticast

Jester88
Level 1: Joiner
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My sister was on facebook on her smartphone when she came across a video clip. She saw a message saying that payment would be taken for watching so she got out of that screen and back to home.

But it now appears she was charged £3 by Watch It for something described at TVMulticst.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
See help here for dealing with premium charges
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premi...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
See help here for dealing with premium charges
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premi...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

As well as all the good advice in the guides you'l need to (severely) restrict Facebook permission on the phone and, it's Apps and App permissions in Facebook settings to prevent this from happening again. 

Message 3 of 18

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Or do the sensible thing and scrape FB altogether and use the mobile web page...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122387 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

TV Multicast is a live video streaming service and the issue is some people are willing to pay for it.

@Jester88I hope your sister can get the issue resolved but I feel she would have to prove that

1) She didn't opt in and

2) She didn't actually watch the video on offer

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 18

Jester88
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I will let her know that she needs to do that.

Message 6 of 18

Jester88
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I know she didn't actually watch the video. But would the opt-in choice come before the request for payment?

Message 7 of 18

MI5
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
They are essentially scams.
Payment isn't actually requested and just clicking the link generates the payment process.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 18

NickH
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have got caught like this and have been charged £9 for a service I didn't want. I am asking for my £9 back failing which I fully intend contacting the Information Commissioner because I am responsible for GDPR with a local organisation and have been trained in it. Under the GDPR Regulations that came in on 25th May the principle was established that opting out was not now appropriate. For people to subscribe to something they must opt in. I have a text which rather belatedly I have discovered says that I have a free trial and that I will be charged £3 a week unless I text STOP. This in my view is a breach of the GDPR regulations. Two issues here:-

1) Watch It breaching the regulations.

2) How did Watch It get my mobile number.

Essentailly I have asked for my £9 back by returen, lest say within the next 24 hours or I will report a suspected breach naming both Watch It and O2. 

I may be wrong and perhaps there is a legal loophole that I have not spotted. However this is still sharp practice and dependent upon how Watch It and O2 respond, my next port of call could be Trading Stanadrs via the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Message 9 of 18

MI5
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@NickH An excellent website here explaining how the scam works https://payforitsucks.co.uk/

Currently using:
Message 10 of 18