Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

02 refresh a word of warning

Eazydoug
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I recently got a LG nexus 5 on 02 refresh, I was duped into thinking this was a premium phone, don't get me wrong I love the phone, but the same week I took it out of the shop, it was only worth £75, if I wanted to trade it in, so just to spell this out, as of today sim free in an 02 shop this phone would cost you £529, or £449 on pay and go, the moment you walk out of the shop, it's worth £57-75 on the recycle scheme, 02 said it was not their fault, I beg to differ, had they told me about it's value and been a bit more upfront I would never have bothered trading in my Galaxy S4 for this, So always check with the sales assistant as to the current value of ANY refresh deal, then you won't get rippped off like me.

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Eazydoug
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Well, Thank's to everyone for being so supportive, I'm just off, I've never been on such a hostile forum. I bought the phone from 02 because I wanted a contract, the phone cost £529 sim free, I was surprised to find that it's recycle value was so low. That's it....jeeeez

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The retail value and then street value of a mobile phone are always going to differ.

If you sold it to CEX as a member you would get £185 for a banding A on O2 or £213 if you opted to trade in and buy something else from them Ie another phone.

Same as buying a car ad as soon as you drive off the forecourt the price drops.

With Refresh it is sometimes evident that the price you pay via o2 can be actually more than what the manufacturer sells it for sim free and factory unlocked, but not everyone has the disposable income to buy them this way.

Message 2 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The O2 recycle price has nothing to do with the refresh scheme.
I don't disagree with the sentiment but the co-joining facts are wrong.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

An LG Nexus 5 32GB is £339 through the Play Store. Why would anyone pay what O2 is offering it for on Pay Monthly or Pay & Go?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I suppose not all want to pay the lump sum upfront and prefer paying in instalments.
Message 6 of 12

Eazydoug
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Actually if you sold it to cex they would give you over £200 for the 32gig version,so check your facts. It still doesn,t alter the fact that they sell you a premium phone for over £500 and within an hour it's worth £75.This should be pointed out pre sale.
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eazydoug wrote:
Actually if you sold it to cex they would give you over £200 for the 32gig version,so check your facts. It still doesn,t alter the fact that they sell you a premium phone for over £500 and within an hour it's worth £75.This should be pointed out pre sale.

Here are the details I looked at.

Google Nexus 5 White 32GB, O2 A

Phones / Phones Android

WeSell for £285.00
WeBuy for £185.00

WeBuy for voucher £213.00

{The option I quoted from}

or

Google Nexus 5 32GB Black, O2 A

Phones / Phones Android

WeSell for £295.00
WeBuy for £191.00

WeBuy for voucher £221.00

I cannot see where you stipulate which colour / capacity you have in your first post, and the prices are subject to how CEX see the condition of the phone. ie: if the phone is in pristine condition.

On a refresh tariff part of the T&c is that you cannot dispose of the hardware.

Why are you looking at what the phone is valued at so soon after signing on the dotted line. 

If your within the permitted times frames either swap the phone or cancel the contract if your unhappy.
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
No need for the attitude Bob was trying to help you at the end of the day you bought the phone knowing what you were getting
Message 9 of 12

Eazydoug
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Well, Thank's to everyone for being so supportive, I'm just off, I've never been on such a hostile forum. I bought the phone from 02 because I wanted a contract, the phone cost £529 sim free, I was surprised to find that it's recycle value was so low. That's it....jeeeez

Message 10 of 12