Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xperia XZ and Android 7.1.1 in the UK

GUK
Level 3: Thinker
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi - I've noticed via XperiFirm (yes, and checking with PC Companion) that in the UK, Vodafone, Virgin and EE have already upgraded XZ phones to android 7.1.1. Is there a specific reason O2 are lagging behind? Three haven't done it yet, but I don't even think they've even pushed out the security update which the rest of us got about a month ago.

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Good to hear,
Message 31 of 44

GUK
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the update!

Message 32 of 44

GUK
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

...and now the month is October, and it's time to pester again wink

Seriously, I won't go on about it - we thrashed this out last month. But it was stated that user feedback was wanted/needed regarding these things, so here it is. The new build has .76 instead of .65 at the end of it. Very few carriers have it, and none in the UK at the time of posting, but it's certified and out "in the wild".

I'm aware that Sony may be ignoring this in order to update to Oreo (not that I think Oreo is magic or that I'm pushing for that) so if that's the case then I understand. Might be nice to get some official or semi-official news though?

Edit: Ah, I've just read on Xperia Blog that some users in other countries are getting it, so assuming it spreads to the UK soon then thanks for a very speedy update!

Message 33 of 44

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
I think you're gonna have to realise these things aren't happening that quick.
Both Sony and o2 work hard on getting the updates rolled out ASAP but sometimes issues can occur down the line and a little delay is expected.

Message 34 of 44

GUK
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I think things have happened pretty quickly slight_smile

Cheers for the speedy update O2.

Message 35 of 44

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Yes they are pretty quick at times, and others not so.
But that's part of the process and can not or should not be rushed.
Message 36 of 44

GUK
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm simply responding to what Chris_K said on the previous page:

"On a personal note, working in the Social Media Team, I'm not aware of issues or situations like this until you or others like you flag it to me/us"

So when I see that an update is being pushed by Sony, I could either sit here and wait, or I could post. It seems like a good idea to post; I'm sure I'm not the first point of contact for O2 when it comes to updates of course, but if it's a case of doing nothing vs. taking... what, 3 minutes to post and ask what's going on, then I'll do the latter.

I've seen loads of forums where people ask repeatedly about exactly the same update for exactly the same device, so clearly they've posted without reading anything previously. That IS tedious, and clogs up a thread which is asking for information. But I don't think that's the case here. I've also seen forums where the regulars simply reply to questions about updates wth things like "It'll be ready when it's ready.". I think that's equally useless. Forums are for discussion, and questions and answers.

This month was very simple (and I missed that other sites had confirmed it was on its way), but there was confusion with that previous update which I could see had already been provided to other UK networks, and that they were providing it to their users. I thought someone might as well ask what the delay was, and I was obviously correct to, having read Chris_K's kind reply to a bit of a prickly post from me.

I know there will be delays sometimes, I'm not going to post at 00:00 on the 1st of every month and demand an update.

Message 37 of 44

GUK
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Oreo has been released for the XZ. I would like O2 to approve/release it for our phones. That it all. Cheers!
Message 38 of 44

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@GUK wrote:
Oreo has been released for the XZ. I would like O2 to approve/release it for our phones. That it all. Cheers!

Great post. Love it grin

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 39 of 44

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions