Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xperia XZ and Android 7.1.1 in the UK

GUK
Level 3: Thinker
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi - I've noticed via XperiFirm (yes, and checking with PC Companion) that in the UK, Vodafone, Virgin and EE have already upgraded XZ phones to android 7.1.1. Is there a specific reason O2 are lagging behind? Three haven't done it yet, but I don't even think they've even pushed out the security update which the rest of us got about a month ago.

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43

GUK
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Vodafone UK have got this now.

I know you don't get forum brownie points for reporting things which O2 haven't done, but I'm hoping you might get action.

Message 21 of 44

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143405 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
@Chris_K is the man in the know.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 44

GUK
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No worries - just trying to keep things current.

Paging Chris_K ...?

Message 23 of 44

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey peeps,

Our device team have checked in with Sony who confirm the August security update was released to our customers on 9th August. They hope to send us September update very soon, which we'll look to approve same day to minimise any delay... Sony have just sent us the September update which we've just approved, so eyes peeled and hopefully you'll see this land in the coming days.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 24 of 44

MercedesS
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Thanks for the update @Chris_Kheart

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 25 of 44

GUK
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don't really understand this reply. I've already said that we've all got the August update. Also, you don't actively ask Sony about updates, you wait until somebody or something notifies you. If I'm incorrect then please challenge me.

And still you(r team) gets thanks the very second you pretend you've done something.

I don't want to exaggerate too much, but this system is a bit broken. You have to be pestered by customers repeatedly until you take the slightest piece of notice, and when you do, you get the thanks. Why don't you take the initiative for once? That is the point of my posts. You should take the initiative, by default.

Message 26 of 44

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@GUK wrote:

I don't really understand this reply. I've already said that we've all got the August update. Also, you don't actively ask Sony about updates, you wait until somebody or something notifies you. If I'm incorrect then please challenge me.

And still you(r team) gets thanks the very second you pretend you've done something.

I don't want to exaggerate too much, but this system is a bit broken. You have to be pestered by customers repeatedly until you take the slightest piece of notice, and when you do, you get the thanks. Why don't you take the initiative for once? That is the point of my posts. You should take the initiative, by default.

Thanks for your comment @GUK. As there's a few parts to it, i'll split my answer up a bit.

August/September Update
Sorry for any confusion - I saw the August update mentioned previously and just wanted to clarify this was released as intended. I understand the main query was around the September update however, which I hope I've answered for you above.

Process
Some of the difficulty with software updates is that until the vendor (eg, Sony, Samsung, Huawei, etc etc) actually gives us the software, there's very little we can do besides contacting them regularly for an update - which we do do pro-actively when we know we're waiting or expecting an update. We also typically receive software around the same time as other networks, which makes this situation outside of the norm - please don't think this as being typical, as it's not the case. There does appear to have been a bit of a break-down between us & Sony with this particular update though, so thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Pro-active
On a personal note, working in the Social Media Team, I'm not aware of issues or situations like this until you or others like you flag it to me/us - so when I do get made aware of it, that's when I do my best to get more info behind the scenes.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 27 of 44

captainprice
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 165 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 4 Solutions
if you check xpericheck.com there is a software update for the xz O2 pay monthly
Message 28 of 44

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Users will have been notified of an awaiting update by either email or a notification on their handset.
Message 29 of 44

captainprice
  • 165 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 4 Solutions
@viridis yes i got mine for my xperia xa1 yesterday for using the xperia companion and today for my phone coming over from a windows phone this was a pleasant surprise wasnt 7.1.1 update just the august security patch but still a nice surprise
Message 30 of 44