cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling S7 Edge and Firmware

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not happy!  TuGo never worked properly for me and now to get my S7 Edge working on WiFi calling I have to take O2 firmware and apparantly this requires a trip to a shop. Does anyone have experience of this?

1. What danger is there to the phone/contents?

2. Do they do this in front of you? ...nobody is taking my unlocked phone away from my view 🙂

3. Is it reversible? (...'cos after my experience I am moving away ASAP .. in March)

4. Do O2 update firmware immediatly after Samsung release, especially for security patches?

Thanks ..Phil

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Plenty of experts that can step in though without it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 19

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I am not happy!  TuGo never worked properly for me and now to get my S7 Edge working on WiFi calling I have to take O2 firmware and apparantly this requires a trip to a shop. Does anyone have experience of this?

1. What danger is there to the phone/contents?

2. Do they do this in front of you? ...nobody is taking my unlocked phone away from my view 🙂

3. Is it reversible? (...'cos after my experience I am moving away ASAP .. in March)

4. Do O2 update firmware immediatly after Samsung release, especially for security patches?

Thanks ..Phil

This doesn't quite sound right I'm afraid - sorry you were given incorrect advice from someone.

With regards to the Samsung S7 specifically, if yours came from Carphone Warehouse or Samsung direct, these will be running what's called 'open market' firmware. That is, the software comes directly from Samsung without any kind of network operator customisation applied. We are currently working on bringing Wifi & 4G calling compatibility to these open market devices early in the new year, though don't have any concrete dates yet. There's no way for us to flash our firmware onto these open market devices.

If your phone was purchased from another operator (eg, Voda/EE/Three) and you got it unlocked to use on O2, there's no way for our store Guru's to flash O2 firmware onto it, sorry.

For anyone who has a Samsung S8 device, the most recent open market software update available from Samsung now enables Wifi & 4G calling on O2.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 12 of 19

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Thanks for the update @Chris_K and I'm sure @Anonymous understands that he was told absolute twaddle previously. 

Message 13 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep .. the phone was bought from Samsung Australia. ... and I told the person from O2 support this. I am glad I did not make a trip to the store.

Just flashed it myself to what was supposed to be the O2 release but no joy!

Think I should be allowed to break contract for this ... TuGo was bad enough but at least it worked sometimes. Now I have no phone service at home.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Message 14 of 19

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I've tried the same previously and it didn't work so O2 must be whitelisting their own IMEI numbers, in which case, this is dead simple for them to fix, if they wanted to.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh welll ..... 🙂 Thanks for the help.

Message 16 of 19

PeterB1
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @Chris_K

Do you know when WiFi calling on open market firmware Sony XZ1 will be made available? 

On the website I think it mentions 'later in the year', and there's less than a month left...

Thanks

Message 17 of 19

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
My Xz premiums are flashed to O2, work on volte and vowifi
Message 18 of 19

PeterB1
  • 12 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks @viridis - that might be next option unless it really is coming in the next week or two!

No reception in my entire flat, so losing tugo (for all its fickle faults) is a real pain.
Message 19 of 19