cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi calling not working on more 8 from cpw

Anonymous
Not applicable
I received a message from O2 saying tu go was closing down and to use Wi-Fi calling. I have a Samsung galaxy note 8 on O2 network from Carphone Warehouse. I activated wifi calling on my phone on the website and that was successful. However the firmware on the phone is not at the correct version and it says i am on latest version when trying a software update. So no wifi calling options on the phone. Could anyone tell me what if anything I am doing wrong?
Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It won’t work unless you have o2 firmware on your phone I’m afraid.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It won’t work unless you have o2 firmware on your phone I’m afraid.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 14

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Unfortunately as your S8 was purchased from carphone warehouse, internet based voice and text services (VoLTE & VoWifi) will not work on the handset.
In order to work you would need o2 based firmware which is only available on handsets purchased from o2, or other handsets where the firmware has been flashed on to the device.
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks everyone. I guessed as much, when I bought the phone I just assumed O2 and therefore everything was O2.
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I will see what cpw is planning.
Message 5 of 14

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

From reading a paragraph on the O2 Wi-fi website, 

O2 are currently in talks and working with the manufactures to also enable no standard O2 firware handsets like the ones from CPW to also be able to use 4G and Wi-fi Calling.

The problem is that Android is fragmented and there is no set setting or coding for Wi-fi and 4G calling. Which is why EE, O2, Vodafone and Three all say the same and having the same issues. If it doesn’t have their firmware on, then it wont work

Apple have one standard setting that all networks use. So don’t have the issue.  May or may not like Apple. But because Apple control both hardware and Software and don’t let Netwroks mess with anything, you don’t get the same issues.  There is a reason for their madness.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 6 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@darrengf. Three have managed to do this with their Three In Touch app. There are also a lot more older handsets it can be activated on. http://www.three.co.uk/discover/three_intouch

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 14

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Actually WiFi calling is native to Android.
It’s the manufacturers that mess it up with their customisation.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 14

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@MI5 And there’s the answer like I said. Manufacturers mess things up and networks don’t help either. 

As apple ply don’t allow any one else to mess things with their phones, things like this don’t happen. 

I remember back to the Sony Ericsson days when Orange ruined the firmware with there bloat ware and awful colours of the phone. 

Featurea were switched from and removed even though they would work but because it didn’t fit in Oranges world the firmware was battered beyond beleive. 

Three in their world apart from adding their own logo at the beginning their handsets are pretty much untouched which is why there much further forward. 

The moral of of the story is let the phone manufacture make the phones, google make android and stop all parties from battering them to stop features working. Add things is fine, removing them is no go.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 9 of 14

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Amen to that mate.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 14