Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow 4G speed

JD0963
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I am new to O2 (Switched over from Three, whom I was able to get 20-30mb 4G speed)

I got my new phone (Galaxy S8+) a few days ago, however I have noticed the 4G speed in Manchester (M4 4FB) is painfully slow - 0.9mb to be exact. I couldn't load anything on social media or youtube this morning, and when I tried to download an app it said estimated time 20 mins.

I spoke on live chat for an hour and half, during which I was transferred to the wrong department about 10 times, and asked to confirm security questions the same amount of times which was frustrating. I did everything they told me to do and the issue still remains.

My question is - where do I go from here? Can I just not have 4g on my phone? How long do I get to cancel my contract and return the device to O2?

Many thanks for any help

Jordan

Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55

Anonymous
Not applicable

you dont live in Leigh on sea do you LOL

Message 2 of 56

JD0963
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Manchester City Centre - which you'd think would have pretty decent service!

Message 3 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mate i feel your pain i work in central london and i dont even get 4G here!! 

Message 4 of 56

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144354 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
According to our status page http://status.o2.co.uk/ they are planning some maintenance shortly.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 56

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

I've reported on here about data speeds in Manchester being very disappointing. Capital of England too!

Message 6 of 56

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12070 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
You could try dropping back down to 3g.
As most people are trying to use 4g it gets overstretched hence the low speed.
If you are lucky you will see an improvement in speed.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 56

JD0963
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That's just silly though isn't it? I have had 4g ever since it was available in the UK - why almost 5 years later would I want to go backwards?

If this is just a temporary thing in Manchester then fair enough, I can live with that. But if it's just "how it is" and O2 can't provide a decent 4G speed then I have definitely made the wrong provider choice.

Speed today on 4G is 0.3MB. 3G is 4MB.

No reported issues in my area.

Message 8 of 56

MI5
  • 144354 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Congestion innit.
Sometimes, progress isn't always a good thing.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 56

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12070 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
It will even itself out as more masts are added to cope with demand, but o2 are tasked with providing more coverage not necessarily better speeds.
If you (and any others you can find/influence) keep reporting the issue then they might do something.
At the very least worth reporting the issue using the My Network app.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 10 of 56