Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow 4G speed

JD0963
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I am new to O2 (Switched over from Three, whom I was able to get 20-30mb 4G speed)

I got my new phone (Galaxy S8+) a few days ago, however I have noticed the 4G speed in Manchester (M4 4FB) is painfully slow - 0.9mb to be exact. I couldn't load anything on social media or youtube this morning, and when I tried to download an app it said estimated time 20 mins.

I spoke on live chat for an hour and half, during which I was transferred to the wrong department about 10 times, and asked to confirm security questions the same amount of times which was frustrating. I did everything they told me to do and the issue still remains.

My question is - where do I go from here? Can I just not have 4g on my phone? How long do I get to cancel my contract and return the device to O2?

Many thanks for any help

Jordan

Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

EE have good 4G everywhere!! since they merged with BT they must have one of the biggest infostructures in the UK! 

Message 12 of 56

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

They will certainly be my choice should I need to get another contract in this country. 

Message 13 of 56

JD0963
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am going to leave it until after the 14th (which is when the "planned" maintenence will be taking place) and if there is still no improvement, I am just cancelling the contract and going with EE. 

For anyone who sees this and lives in Manchester - AVOID O2 if you expect to browse Facebook/Youtube on 4G.

Current DL speed - Unknown as it was so slow it couldn't find the nearest server on the speedtest app.

Also been completely ignored by O2 regarding this grin 

Message 14 of 56

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @JD0963 welcome to our forum! Sorry to hear that you've been having slow speeds in your area. worried Please do update us on how it goes after the maintenance?

Message 15 of 56

JD0963
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, thanks for all the comments. I am returning the handset to Carphone Warehouse tomorrow and will be getting a more suitable provider. 

My contract with O2 included 20GB worth of data - which I wasn't able to use.

I have been told to "connect to O2 WIFI seeing as how you're in the city centre' - ridiculous.

Just glad this stress will be over.

Thanks all

Message 16 of 56

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Middle of Glasgow, Full bars and im barely able to load this page... Kind of dissapointing since i rely on my 4g to do alot of things the college internet doesn't allow. (Using Discord or skype video calls) but as of late it's been getting slower and slower.

Message 18 of 56

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
There seems to be a lot of reports of this congestion in city centres just lately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 56

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Anonymous thanks for the feedback on 4G speeds in the Glasgow area! You said it's been getting worse but has this been a long term issue for you? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 20 of 56