cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking Samsung Galaxy S6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am purchasing a second hand Samsung Galaxy S6.  The seller has explained that the phone is locked to O2 and was on contract through CPW.  CPW explain that they cannot unlock phone because they are not a network provider.  O2 said they cannot unlock to phone it would have to be doen by CPW.  If they are both correct that means I am stuffed and cannot unlock the phone.  I would be happy to pay O2 for the srvice but they said that could not help.  Any ideas please?    I have an IMEI number for the phone.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
If the seller was on pay monthly (contract) they can get it unlocked for free.
If they cannot (or will not) you will need to get a PAYG sim and use that for a few days.
Once it registers and you have used it for a few days, make sure there is £15 credit on it and follow the advice in this link:
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
Basically you will need to complete a form and wait for a reply.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am actually with Giffgaff but occasionally use a foreign SIM which is why I want it unlocked.  I am assuming the Giffgaff SIM is going to work in the phone.  Can I get Giffgaff to unlock it?

Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
They were on a pay monthly contract but that was with CPW.
Message 5 of 15

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
They would have signed the contract with CPW, but services (and money) would have been with o2.
The phone is probably not actually locked - if you have the phone then try your giffgaff sim in it.
Most (not all, but most) phones supplied by a 3rd party are normally not locked. Case in point my LG G4 is not locked to a network. That was obtained through a subsidiary of CPW (mobiles.co.uk).

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 15

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
will it work on Giffgaff
Message 8 of 15

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If it came from CPW it's not locked.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Try your sim and see.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 15