cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking Phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please Help!!

I have moved to Iceland and before I moved I was a pay monthly customer. I paid off my contract and asked my phone to be unlocked so I can use an Icelandic sim whilst abroad. When I inserted the Icelandic sim, it comes up with 'Unlock Sim Pin'. I have read online that this means my phone is not unlocked (even though I had requested it to be)! So I speak to an O2 GURU and he said he has processed it to be unlocked but will take 7 days and I shall recieve a text and confirmation email. I cannot recieve such a text as my phone number is no longer active and I recieved no such email. Does anyone know if the text i'm supposed to recieve will have the unlock pin on it? If so, any suggestions as to how i can recieve it? I have a pay as you go O2 sim which I have activated and topped up just now. The call said the top up was successful however when I tried to ring O2 just now, the call diverts me to top up, saying I have £0 credit!? Is this because I am in Iceland or it takes a while to go through? Please someone help me...I'm pretty sure noone else is in this position but please if someone has any advice I would be so appreciative seeing as O2 are being as helpfull as a rock.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
iPhones don't need a PIN, all you have to do is put your new sim in phone and connect to iTunes on your PC.
When you topped up your phone it would have bought your bundle allowances which you can only use in UK and if you want to reverse this to just credit you need to ask CS to do this for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply but this is the android chat and therefore I do not have an iphone!

Message 3 of 22

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Damn, I'm sure I read iPhone wink
The code will be emailed to you anyway, so no need to have to receive a text......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 22

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Damn, I'm sure I read iPhone wink

You're forgiven.....after all, it is that time of year when every thread on here seems to revolve around the new, latest, must-have Apple Smartphone Horrified

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 5 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi UnhappyIceland

I have a similar problem. While I lived in UK, I bought an O2 payg phone (Sony Xperia Z1c), which I unlocked successfully in January, with the unlatching code that I got from O2 for a fee of £15. Now I moved to Germany and can't use my phone with a German sim, because it's asking me for a code to unlatch the network lock! The old code doesn't work. And all I got from O2 support was 'No, it must work, because we unlocked it'.

I suspect that there's a regional lock/ country lock that the O2 support people are not even aware of, because I could use non-O2 UK sims. Trouble is, nobody helps. They just insist that it's supposed to work. 😞

I don't want to pay fees to some dodgy offers for unlocking, which may not even help...I paid O2 for an official unlocking, and despite that I'm now left with a phone that I can only use for browsing the internet on wifi. Great. 😕

Message 6 of 22

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
O2 can only supply the official unlock code from Sony. If indeed it is region locked perhaps @viridis or @MI5 can advise.. I'm not sure that even rooting would fix it
Message 7 of 22

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I'm not aware of any region locks on Sony devices and even if there was, it would have been released by the use in the UK.
How many different sim cards have you tried in the phone as it really should now be unlocked to all networks worldwide if done properly.
What other UK sim cards did you use when you were here?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 22

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
*#*#SERVICE#*#*
Then
Service info
Then
Sim lock.
What does it say?

Message 9 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

To clarify, it is a UK phone that I used for over 1.5 years in UK, unlocked it in UK, and now would like to use in Germany.

I had unlocked and tried it in UK in January with a T-mobile sim, that worked.

I tried it with four different German sims now, to no avail: vodafone, t-mobile, congstar, and a German O2 sim. It always comes up with asking for a code to unlock the network lock, just as if I had never done it before. The message that pops up is in German (my phone's settings are in German language), so quoting it here would not make sense.

But it really is for the network locking, it's not asking for a PIN (or when it does, it does so before asking for the unlocking code), which really surprised me as I had unlocked it back then and I didn't expect this to happen.

I also wanted to install the vodafone app, but couldn't: it said that my device is not compatible, and showed 'Sony Xperia Z1 compact (O2)' or sth like that.

O2 support also confirmed that it is unlocked and should be working with foreign sims. It should, but it doesn't... 😞

@viridis, where do I need to enter this?

Message 10 of 22