O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Android Devices (Samsung, HTC, Sony Ericsson, etc.)

Reply
Level 1: Joiner
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎21-10-2014
Accepted Solution

Sending SMS texts with attachments.

Until my last phone's demise last week (Sony Xperia Z3C) and replacement with a new Samsung Galaxy A3, I was always able to send a text with, say, a photo attachment thus making an MMS and the mobile network would fire up of its own accord, send the MMS and then close down the mobile network.

With the Samsung, however, the so formed MMS won't send until I manually turn on Mobile Networks and then 'Off' again after sending. A bit annoying but not earth shattering.

Anyone know why this is? It's the same SIM that was just swapped over.

Posts: 70,318
Topics: 458
Solutions: 7,664
Registered: ‎04-04-2012

Re: Sending SMS texts with attachments.

It's just the way Samsung configure their phones.
They came under a lot of criticism for people accidentally sending MMS and getting charged so they configured a number of safeguards to prevent this from happening.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Xperia Z5 Dual (O2 & Sfr) and Z3 Tablet (Three UK)
iPhone7 (EE)

nil desperandum


Level 1: Joiner
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎21-10-2014

Re: Sending SMS texts with attachments.


MI5 wrote:
It's just the way Samsung configure their phones.
They came under a lot of criticism for people accidentally sending MMS and getting charged so they configured a number of safeguards to prevent this from happening.

Thanks but I think it's a shame, after all one would have physically have to go through the process of adding an attachment so it could be hardly accidental!

 

Posts: 70,318
Topics: 458
Solutions: 7,664
Registered: ‎04-04-2012

Re: Sending SMS texts with attachments.

You'd be surprised how many people get caught out.
Watchdog even did a piece on it and laid the blame squarely at Samsung for making it "too easy" to send one accidentally.
It isn't just adding a picture that can convert a normal text to an MMS either.
We have help and advice here to explain.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Xperia Z5 Dual (O2 & Sfr) and Z3 Tablet (Three UK)
iPhone7 (EE)

nil desperandum


Level 1: Joiner
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎21-10-2014

Re: Sending SMS texts with attachments.


MI5 wrote:
You'd be surprised how many people get caught out.
Watchdog even did a piece on it and laid the blame squarely at Samsung for making it "too easy" to send one accidentally.
It isn't just adding a picture that can convert a normal text to an MMS either.
We have help and advice here to explain.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it...
Ah, thanks, that's very useful to know. I send many such multi texts but like many people I have 1000 free texts per months and don't other tariffs give unlimited?

 

Posts: 70,318
Topics: 458
Solutions: 7,664
Registered: ‎04-04-2012

Re: Sending SMS texts with attachments.

Up to 3 single texts merged into one is OK and will come from free text allowances, but if it goes over to 4 or more single texts (defined by character count) then phones will convert them to an MMS which is chargeable unless you have the MMS bolt on added to your account.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Xperia Z5 Dual (O2 & Sfr) and Z3 Tablet (Three UK)
iPhone7 (EE)

nil desperandum


Level 1: Joiner
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎21-10-2014

Re: Sending SMS texts with attachments.


MI5 wrote:
Up to 3 single texts merged into one is OK and will come from free text allowances, but if it goes over to 4 or more single texts (defined by character count) then phones will convert them to an MMS which is chargeable unless you have the MMS bolt on added to your account.

Well that didn't happen in my broken Sony. I often wrote texts upto 5 or 6 equivalent and sent it and the charge screen from O2 just appeared several times with my balance on PAYG remaning constant. And no indication that it had been converted to MMS.

Posts: 70,318
Topics: 458
Solutions: 7,664
Registered: ‎04-04-2012

Re: Sending SMS texts with attachments.

Hence the complaints about Samsung.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Xperia Z5 Dual (O2 & Sfr) and Z3 Tablet (Three UK)
iPhone7 (EE)

nil desperandum