cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S8 Data while in USA

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in America at the moment. I have O2 Travel activated and have data roaming turned on, but I can't get mobile data.  Any ideas of what I can try?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
No data at all or just very slow so everything times out?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

jonsie
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

I presume you have mobile data switched on to. 

Try selecting different networks to see if that gives you a connection. 

Try rebooting the phone, it sometimes helps. 

It may well be that once connected data speeds will be no more than 0.5mbps due to O2 throttling contract customers. 

If all else fails you need to contact customer service to check roaming is enabled on your sim. 

Message 3 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

If the phone is unlocked you could try a local US sim. Many people find this is an easier option....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 12

Dino1968
Level 4: Observant
  • 81 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I travel to the USA 2 or 3 times per year and I have T-Mobile sim that I just put into my phone when I land. I have no contract and its set up for people who only want to use it for short periods. I bought it from a T-mobile shop in New York.

Last time I was there I paid for a $60 USD 1 month package which included always on data, calls and texts. Might seem pricy but I used it for just under a month and had really fast speeds without very little drop. So for me it was well worth it along with all the calls and texts I made and took.

I know you can buy travel sims from vending machines when you land in Boston Logan Airport and JFK ... but never purchased one as my T-mobile works great even when using my mobile as a hotspot for my laptop.

Maybe this is an easier (and faster) solution than trying to get O2 working over there ...

Message 5 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Dino1968 One of our members @Bambino is from the USA but lived in London. He used to do exactly the same.... ie using a local sim whilst in the States. It worked perfectly for him....This is something we tend to advise frequently. Of course if using your own phone it has to be unlocked. Or another option is to buy a cheap phone whilst in the USA...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 12

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions
I would also recommend turning 4G Roaming off if possible so that the handset only uses 3g/2g
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 12

Dino1968
Level 4: Observant
  • 81 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @Dino1968 One of our members @Bambino is from the USA but lived in London. He used to do exactly the same.... ie using a local sim whilst in the States. It worked perfectly for him....This is something we tend to advise frequently. Of course if using your own phone it has to be unlocked. Or another option is to buy a cheap phone whilst in the USA...

Yes good point phone needs to be unlocked or if you travel more often it can be justified to buy a hand set for use for when there. And hand sets are cheaper in the USA.

This is what I will be doing I think when I got back there next month. Thankfully people seem more aware now of the risks of data roaming charges and we read less of those horror storys where mum and dad were faced with a 5 grand bill for the kids "over use" 😉

Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
No data at all
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
No luck on the suggestions. Will unlock my phone before coming back next year and get a local sim.

I don't understand as I am on the same contract as last year when it worked fine only difference this year is I now have a Samsung s8 but with same sim as last year.
Message 10 of 12