cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Note 3 Kit-kat update?

Anonymous
Not applicable

So my 3 week old Note 3 popped up with an upgrade to Kit-kat last night around 7pm. I updated it, and it took literally 20 restarts/battery pulls to stop it crashing.

Everytime the screen dimmed it crashed, everytime I tried to use the pull down notifications...it crashed. If I did nothing at all it crashed. 

To say I am upset by this "update", is to put it mildly. My phone is literally brand new, and Kitkat just seems buggy as hell and a pointless update. It has a battery drain bug in it.

Why would O2 release it? Has anyone experienced this too? I'm fuming as it's a complete waste of my time and energy.

If I did a factory restore, would it take back to Jellybean...which worked perfectly and NEVER crashed on me.

Cheers in advance, 

Simon

Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Following MI5's guide really helped me after the last major upgrade to 4.3. I was a little worried about doing it but it was very straight forward.

Hopefully that will sort out the phone for you.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

If you do a factory restore it won't go back to Jellybean, but it should sort out the update. One of the members here, MI5 knows much more about this than I do. Hopefully he'll see this thread and advise you on this.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks! I'll know in future to leave the updates for a month or so till the bugs are worked out.
Message 3 of 23

MI5
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
I wrote a short guide previously about this type of issue. You can find it here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/How-To-Reset-your-Samsung-after-a-Firm...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 23

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

Nice one MI5. Hero

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 23

Boo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 21 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi, theeicebear, I picked up my note 3 yesterday from o2. Last night it carried out 2 updates finally resetting to show the new kit-kat update. So far all is well but i had no experience of what it was like previously. Hope the problem is easily solved.
Message 6 of 23

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Following MI5's guide really helped me after the last major upgrade to 4.3. I was a little worried about doing it but it was very straight forward.

Hopefully that will sort out the phone for you.

Message 7 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help!
Message 8 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
My note 3 is not locked to O2 but I got the kit kat update Monday after a reset it was fine
Message 9 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Kitkat update has caued me a lot of problems with my Note 3. Before the update the phone was working fine for months. Now it crashes at least 5 times a day with random reboots. Its crashed and restarted 3 times already this morning and this is after having done several factory resets and not installing any apps yet to try and solve the problem.

The crashes randomly occur, for instance I checked my phone to see what time it was this morning at 3am and as soon as the screen came on it froze and rebooted. Then I was browsing the internet and again freezes and reboots for no reason. Obviously the worst thing is that this is after a complete wipe with no restoring of any apps so there is nothing else I can try. The phone is effectively useless for doing anything important on now.

Message 10 of 23