cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S8+ Wifi Calling

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that o2 is going to be ending it's TuGo service I need to activate wifi calling on my device.

I have requested the 4G and wifi calling through o2 which should be activated in 24 hours however there is no option for me to activate Wifi calling on my S8+.

I have checked the firmware and it is the latest, however not an o2 firmware even though I purchased directly from an o2 store.

I need wifi calling as I get no signal at work, but it looks like I wont be able to make or recieve calls/texts if TuGo is going to end.

Can anyone provide any help on this?

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@BigBlum wrote:

Go to Settings then Apps then select "Show system apps" from pull down menu. then scroll down to the Phone app (the first of 3 with the largest storage figure (780 Kb in my case), then select More settings, then scroll down the screen where you will finally find the W-Fi calling option.
20**Personal info** 08.44.23.png20**Personal info** 08.35.11.png

Have you got wifi calling working or just showing in your menu?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 46

BigBlum
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I turned Network mode to 2G made a call to British Gas, and it did so with the icon of a phone handset with wifi symbol next to it, I dont know how to test it any other way, if i turn flight mode on, it turns off all calling.
Recent call list shows wifi symbol next to that call.
20**Personal info** 08.10.02.jpg

Message 22 of 46

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
With airplane mode on, turn wifi back on.
If it's working, you will be able to make a call.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 23 of 46

BigBlum
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yep, can do thumbsup
20**Personal info** 08.44.20.png

Message 24 of 46

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Excellent news slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 25 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can also confirm that my S8 purchased through mobiles.co.uk with firmware G950FOXM1AQI7 is letting me make calls on wifi. 

I was a bit annoyed to discover that my new S8 phone would not work with wifi calling especially after the news about TuGo. Then there is the overall confusion about phones that are not purchased directly from O2 but are still "on" O2 and where they actually stand (the O2 firmware issue)

I checked my S8 firmware and based on the information given on the O2 site it was not compatible. Yet in my settings on my "Phone" app (the one used to make calls) there is a WiFi calling option. I turned this on and I saw the little phone icon with the tiny wifi symbol in the corner. I turned on airplane mode and then turned wifi on (great tip btw @MI5) and I was able to make and recieve calls.

I am hoping this lasts when they migrate my old number from my current O2 contract onto my new O2 contract, we shall see.

Message 26 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable

update: after the number migration it still works slight_smile

Message 27 of 46

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Let’s hope they will add more phones soon too.

Currently using:
Message 28 of 46

mavericke
Level 3: Thinker
  • 83 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@JFA

It's too bad. As mentioned before, you should give a call to carphonewarehouse's CS and ask for an explanation. Worst come to worst they may not pay attention to your needs and they might refuse to do an exchange for you. You might try to invoke The Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013. 

Worst come to worst, you might need to flash your S8+ to O2's stock firmware yourself as mentioned earlier. 

Good luck.

Message 29 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have SGS8 bought with mobiles.co.uk. Have OXM in CSC. But no option to turn on wifi calling in settings>connections. Did exactly what Bigblum and Digisam did (phone/call settings). Wifi calling works with the same wifi symbol next to the call. Thanks for the tip guys.
Message 30 of 46