cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a new phone (Samsung Galaxy J3, 2016) but it will only recognise one of my two wifi networks - 2G.  I have a 5G network that I want the phone to find, but I can't get it to recognise this, even when I manually type in the correct details.  What's going wrong ?  Is the J3 not capable of recognising 5G ?  Please help someone. Thanks.  B. 

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
5 ghz networks are problematic on many devices. 2.4 is the standard that is most compatible.
It also depends on what channel you are transmitting on from your router as some phones won't see anything above channel 12, regardless.
Yes, in theory you should be able to see it on your phone, the "n" denotes compatibility with 2.4 and 5ghz networks, but theory is very different to practice.
If you can set your router to 2.4 only and just use that you shouldn't have too many problems.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

According to specs:
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.

802.11 a is required for 5ghz stand alone but the "n" should be both.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for quick reply to my post today. I'm not techie but from your reply I'm assuming you think my new J3 phone should find my 5G network ?  What does the "n" stand for ?  If I can't get my phone to connect should I get back to o2 as a phone issue, or is it a problem with my network ?  Sorry to be so ignorant - Help !   

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
5 ghz networks are problematic on many devices. 2.4 is the standard that is most compatible.
It also depends on what channel you are transmitting on from your router as some phones won't see anything above channel 12, regardless.
Yes, in theory you should be able to see it on your phone, the "n" denotes compatibility with 2.4 and 5ghz networks, but theory is very different to practice.
If you can set your router to 2.4 only and just use that you shouldn't have too many problems.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the explanation. I can now get on with 2G without thinking I'm lacking a better connection (although I wish o2 had been half as helpful with their advice as you have been) !  

Many thanks.  

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Happy to help.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6